1. Mules and Braggarts

Earth, New York, 04.11.2059

"Earth, New York, 11/04/2059

"Did you know that the offspring of a donkey and a horse are called mules and they cannot reproduce?"

Lyra pointed to her headphones, pretending not to have heard the question. Then she looked out of the window again. The questioner didn't give up; he and his friend sat down on chairs opposite her. The question was now asked even louder, "Did you know that mules cannot reproduce?" so that even others in the class at nearby tables heard and looked over with interest.

Lyra realized she couldn't avoid the conversation or the two guys. She took off her headphones and asked irritably, "so what?" She could already imagine where this was heading; she just forgot the names of the two goofballs.

"Hey, how about your dad letting himself get screwed by one of those alien lizards - can you have kids?"
The goofball looked at her triumphantly, thinking it was a very original provocation. Indeed, it was so original that Lyra had practiced her response several times already.

"Yeah, my parents' sex life is the subject of scientific literature and relevant for biology students, sorry if that's too highbrow for you." She hoped her voice conveyed the appropriate coolness and confidence as she put her headphones back on.

The other goofball snapped his fingers in front of her eyes a few times. She took the headphones off again. "What?"
The guy pretended to be outraged and raised his voice, "Why so arrogant, it was just a normal question, can't one ask questions?"

Now other classmates came to the table. Lyra looked at the human wall that had formed around her.
These would be a long 6 minutes until class resumed.

Before she could answer, the goofball had another question ready, "Did your dad even want that?" Lyra was puzzled, "Why wouldn't he?"
The response: "Well, you never know with those Martian creatures, don't you reproduce through...". She rolled her eyes; hopefully, this stupidity wasn't contagious.

"Don't be so arrogant," said a classmate from the human wall, "I saw you ogling my friend, you better not stick your tentacles out!"
Lyra wondered if she should congratulate Lukas on how much confidence his girlfriend had in his beauty. Love is blind.

She didn't have the opportunity to reply; the 'normal' questions turned into an interrogation:
-"Hey, tell us, why did your people abduct two joggers again?";
-"Why don't you go back to your planet if it's too cold for you here?";
-"Do you even have anything between your legs?"

Lyra massaged her green temples and let her gaze wander over the crowd.
Darian was there too, albeit in the back row, but he was also grinning and whispering something to his neighbor. And she thought he belonged to the island of the Good ones.
Another disappointment.
She wanted to start giving an answer, but the "Good morning" from the math teacher dispersed the assembly.

What hadn't dispersed was her full bladder.
"Can I go to the bathroom again?" The teacher barely glanced at her while unpacking her bag, "oh girl, you had the whole break time."

Lyra had had enough; this planet was so exhausting. "Yeah, thanks." She stood up, headed towards the door, narrowly avoiding a tripping leg and left the classroom. She was accompanied by a "Lyra, that..." but then the door slammed shut.

Now Lyra ran down the gray hallway to the toilets, locking herself in a stall.
Here, she let both her bladder and her emotions flow freely. As it trickled, she stared blankly at the white tiles. She felt her knees start to shake. She held them tightly with both hands and called herself to order, "Be strong, Lyra, this will pass."

She looked up. Someone had drawn a broken heart on the door. Despite all the sympathy, she wished she had such problems again. Just having lovesickness and normal teenage hormonal fluctuations again.

Instead, she had passed by another wall with the inscription "Aliens Go Home" earlier this morning.
Oh yes, how she would love to be back in Leipzig. Or even on Tarumanus, her home world... her other home world.
But she couldn't leave her little sibling Ségouin alone in this wasteland. The anti-alien demonstrations of the 'Humanity First' movement were gaining more and more traction, and Congress was debating a law against alien propaganda.

Probably her parents had already been informed about her misconduct and the 5 minutes of detention through a push notification - so she didn't have to stress about it.

In front of the mirror, she looked at her green face, her eyes were tired. She put on her poker face again and left the company of herself to go back alone among Humans.

--------------------

English is not my native language, if you have any suggestions for improvement, please feel free to let me know :)