11. In Friendship we trust

Earth, New York, November 7, 2059

Mika squatted five meters in front of Lyra, holding a hefty camera and peering through the lens. "You could move a bit to the left," she instructed. Lyra complied.
"A little more."
Lyra took another step.
Mika adjusted the settings again.

They had gathered here to take photos for their flyer, which promotes understanding between humans and aliens. Mika had been a bit concerned about showing Lyra's face, but Lyra had pointed out that as an alien, she would have a target on her forehead regardless of whether her face appeared on a flyer or not.

After the argument, Lyra got up and went to her wall of memories from Leipzig, returning with a flyer. It depicted a person at a crossroads, urging the reader to take a stand against Nazis.

"Wow, that's powerful," said Mika.

Lyra nodded. "Yes, that's a friend of my parents, and she told me that the flyer was very well received... People often need a personal connection and a face they can relate to."

And now Lyra stood on the beach, ready for her photo shoot. She wasn't alone; behind her, the Statue of Liberty rose into the cloudless blue sky. They were both illuminated by the sunrise.

The reason for choosing this location was that Mika and Lyra had decided they also wanted to appeal to average American citizens, and they chose a motif that would be appropriate for that goal without being too cringe-inducing for them.

But there was another person planned besides the old lady from France. And she was stepping off the bus now.

"I think that's her coming," Lyra called out to her new friend. She marked her location with an apple spritzer and walked towards Golda, who was carrying a large bag and using a cane. But the old lady from Brooklyn signaled that no help was needed. Actually, she was there to help.

"It's great to see you here; we've already made a few preparations," said Lyra. Golda sat down on a bench. "I was very pleased to receive your invitation," she replied.

She opened the bag, which was full of clothes, as if she were considering a career change to the textile industry.

"What are all these clothes for?" Lyra asked.

Golda replied, "Dear child, I've been thinking about whether Daddy's old leather coat, which you always wear, is really suitable for winning the hearts of Americans." So I asked my grandson to give me some clothes that average teenagers wear. Take a look.

The two nodded understandingly and searched for a suitable outfit.

"I've dressed a bit more like Grandma today," she said, looking at her cane and small handbag.

Mika pulled a tank top out of the bag with blue stars and red stripes. "How about this?"
Lyra replied, "But I'll freeze in that..."
Mika was still getting used to being friends with someone who, at 15 degrees in November, was already researching consumer tips for well-known heat pad brands.

Mika rummaged further and pulled out two tracksuits, comparing which one matched best with Lyra's green skin, Golda's handbag, and the radiant weather. "I think you should go with this one?"

Lyra nodded. She actually didn't mind the jacket. So she took off her coat, realizing that thanks to the sun, it wasn't so icy, and put on her outfit.

"Then you can take your positions..."

Mika was a peaceful person, but it seemed she had devoured a director for breakfast as she assigned positions to her comrades. "Golda, you need to turn a bit more... yes, that's good." With Lyra, she dispensed with verbal communication, simply physically adjusting her, but at least she was allowed to unzip the jacket herself. Lyra unfolded a map.

Mika took her position with the camera in front of her face. "Now talk about something and laugh."

They tried out various poses. Sometimes Lyra helped the old lady walk, then Golda showed the alien teen the statue, and finally, they just talked.

Lyra decided to tell her co-model more details about the flyer, although she was repeatedly interrupted by Mika's commands. They had sat down as the Flyer AG last night and worked on the text & layout until late into the night. At first, it sounded like a teaser for a sociology seminar, but eventually they decided "...to tell some basic facts about Tarumanian culture and describe the opportunities for peaceful cooperation between the species."

Then the set was rearranged, a picnic blanket was laid out, and sandwiches with cola were served. Golda and Lyra sat down. The latter continued her story while Mika continued to move around them, trying out all possible angles.

"And we're introducing ourselves as the 'American-Tarumanian Society for Democracy and Freedom.'"

Golda had pretended to say something to the camera most of the time, but now she spoke for real. "Sounds good, but I would start with 'circle of friends' instead; it sounds more approachable."

Lyra liked that and smiled.

"That's it!" exclaimed Mika joyfully and began packing the camera into her bag.

"Can we eat now?" asked Golda. Mika, still in boss mode, allowed it and sat down on the blanket to eat sandwiches. Lyra could now put her coat back on.

"We're still thinking about what our headline could be... either 'A union of all species, by all species, for all species' or 'We the people of Earth and beyond' or even 'We want you for coexistence'."

As they enjoyed their meal, they continued to brainstorm. "How do you plan to distribute the flyers?" asked Golda.

Mika cleared her throat. "We'll set up a table in the courtyard of my university, put up a sign saying 'let's talk,' and offer cookies to start conversations... Most students probably aren't as xenophobic as the American average, and we hope to find allies there who will join us in flyering on the streets."

Golda smiled, finding the two young beings impressive. "It's been 42 hours since you ran out of my café in response to external influences—now you're sitting here with a new friend, ready to act together..." She looked at the two brave young faces. Then she had a new idea for the title of the flyer: "What do you think of 'In Friendship We Trust'"?"