Chapter 4: Accept Reality

The campus atmosphere vibrated with typical enthusiasm. As the day progressed, the itch came back, having been momentarily dulled by my morning run, resurfaced with urgency, compelling me to seek out the truth hidden within the book's mysterious pages.

Driven by this quest, I was drawn back to the library post-class, like a horse to water. Inside, the silence was familiar, yet my journey through the aisles felt guided by an invisible hand towards an unknown fate.

My heart skipped a beat. The shelf that had been completely barren of all books the other day was replenished with the same books. I half run/half gallop to it. I quickly scan and my heart drops just as quickly as it had started flying. The book wasn't there. Maybe someone checked the book out already? My mind went immediately to Sebastian.

As if summoned by an all-mighty force, a message from Sebastian interrupted my thoughts, his casual check-in hiding an opportunity to explore new perspectives on the baffling events I'd encountered. I invited him to meet at the campus café, stepping into the unknown with someone who might hold the key to unraveling my mystery.

In the café, surrounded by everyday chatter, Sebastian's arrival offered comfort and a keen interest in my story, providing a bridge over my sea of doubts. I shared everything—the discovery of the book, the unexplainable itch, the cryptic messages, and the strange occurrences that followed.

Sebastian's reaction, marked by enthusiasm rather than disbelief, breathed new life into my hopes. "That's insane," he said, viewing the situation not as a curse but as a puzzle, his immediate belief in my story was also a relief. I thought he was going to dismiss it right off the bat. He smiles at me again, igniting a spark of optimism in me.

"So tell me more about the dream," he says. I delve right into a more detailed account of everything I could remember from the dream, how it felt so real and that nothing seemed out of the ordinary except for when it did. He kept his eyes on me and nodded politely with each new thing I said.

As the café emptied and night enveloped us, I was so glad I had someone I could share this all with. A pang of guilt hit me suddenly, Lily. I should have let her know as well, and here I am spilling my guts and worries to a complete stranger.

"You see, Ellie," Sebastian began, interrupting her thoughts and his voice low, "You're mind is so used to solving problems that it's making up problems "

Ellie, leaning in, felt the weight of every word hit her. He didn't believe her after all. All of a sudden she became very embarrassed. "I'm sorry for wasting your time," she hurriedly started to gather her things.

"No, Ellie, I'm sorry that's not what I meant," he began to sputter out desperately. But it was too late. I was already on my way out, leaving underneath the amber glow of the café's fairy lights and letting the cafe door clang shut behind her.