50 Khar Taw Mi (Just in Time) - I hope you understand

This is the fourth time after "Bus Stop" (my review no. 26), "The Star Season 2" (no. 40), and "Bagan Beginning" (no. 48) that I'm reviewing a movie or series from Trust Entertainment (Myanmar), which obviously means that I appreciate a lot what the people behind this company are doing. Respect is due to them for producing BL content in a country with strict censorship which requires intelligent writing and good acting for the message to be conveyed without getting in conflict with the authorities. Trust Entertainment manages to do exactly this.

"Khar Taw Mi" tells the story of Nway Oo (Zaw Shine Htet), who has been appointed as a singer at the Thingyan celebrations, and Thein Myat Min (Vita Min), who is asked by his father Win Maung (U Chit Sayar) to teach Nway Oo to sing Thingyan songs to be performed with Thein Myat's sister's (Khit Hsu Thyin) dance troupe. Thein Myat is reluctant at first, and Nway Oo doesn't like him either after he was run over by Thein Myat's bike the day before.

When Thein Myat finally accepts his father's order, he turns out to be a strict teacher, who is so rough that he makes Nway Oo cry. After Nway Oo's singing wasn't good enough for Thein Myat at the first rehearsal, Thein Myat is impressed by Nway Oo's beautiful voice when he hears him sing at a temple. As this short film is meant to be a BL movie, Thein Myat of course falls for his student, who obviously likes him, too.

Now how do you show that two boys love each other when any intimacies, not even kisses, will pass censorship? There are several ways the film makers have found here.

First of all, it's the fantastic VitaShine couple, whose cautious looks and decent gestures indicate what Thein Myat and Nway Oo feel for each other. There are also several puns on Nway Oo's name which means "spring", so when Thein Myat says how much he loves the spring, it is clear that he isn't just talking about the season. Then the boys exchange letters. Thein Myat hides his confession to Nway Oo behind flowery words, but writes "I hope you understand what I mean". Yes, we do understand, but Nway Oo pretends not to and asks Thein Myat in his answer to be more clear.

The final and unmistakable hint at the boys' love comes when they have been pouring water on each other at Thingyan, and Thein Myat, holding Nway Oo's hands, says to him, "I vow with the clear Thingyan water that I will always be loyal to you." In my opinion, this is a more emotional BL promise than any kiss or NC scene can be.

So I'm not going to discuss here whether this is "BL" or just "bromance" - for me, BL movies don't need kisses and naked skin to convey what boys love means. Like the fantastic Chinese series "Stay with me", a good script (by Kelvin) and actors who know their job can find a way to make BL content that won't be stopped by censors.

Like in "Bagan Beginning", Burmese traditions are the frame in which this movie is set – from traditional clothes to Burmese music, dance and Thingyan customs to beautiful temples. Where Thai BL productions have their protagonists drive expensive cars and live in luxury palaces, this movie has the leads ride simple, old bikes, and instead of electric light there are candles. All this creates a wonderful atmosphere, and VitaShine's acting together with the soundtrack, which consists exclusively of Burmese traditional music, makes watching this movie pure pleasure.

There are some minor flaws of the sound and the editing, which can be ignored in the light of an overall pleasant production quality.

It was already clear after "Bagan Beginning" that Vita Min and Zaw Shine Htet have joined the noble society of iconic BL couples, and I'm sure that "Khar Taw Mi" will win them even more fans.

Country: Myanmar (2024)

Duration: 38 mins.

Director: Kelvin

Cast: Vita Min, Zaw Shine Htet, Khit Hsu Thyin, U Chit Sayar et al