Chapter 1

The sea star knows all of my secrets.

He is also most probably judging my pitiful ass by now, not that I can blame him. If I were Einstein, I would also release oxygen towards that idiotic human who has nothing better to do on his fine last Sunday evening before his Senior Year but stare out of the kitchen window.

But in my defense, it gives me a perfect sight of our neighbor's house, which is sort of my objective here.

"I'm not a stalker," I clarify to Einstein. Maybe to myself.

Unsurprisingly, I don't get a response, given that the only present family members are said sea star and Queen Elizabeth. The latter shines with regular absence. Cats these days, I swear, are never there when you need them.

"You know, it's weird," I start again, desperate to voice my thoughts that, right now, are on an emotional rollercoaster.

"His car is here," I panic. "And I know he is super excited for tomorrow, like, I can feel it, Einstein, so why has he not texted me back?"

Einstein comments on my rant with a release of air bubbles, along the lines of "I feel you, buddy."

Maybe it was just a fart.

"I know you don't care, but could you at least try to show the slightest interest in my life?

Sea stars are no talkers. Ours, in particular, is not keen on lending me emotional support.

Story of my life.

When we got Einstein a few years ago, the twins insisted on getting pets starting with the letter "E," because, you know, "Our names start with 'E' too, Nate!"

How could I say no to that splendid reasoning? I can't say no to anything the twins ask me to do. I just... can't. Guilty as charged.

Especially since it was my stupid PowerPoint presentation and me that planted the very idea of getting a pet in the first place. I read somewhere that pets strengthen the sense of responsibility in kids and are beneficial to their overall development. I made a whole list.

I also just wanted to piss our dad off.

What I did not expect was entering our lovely local pet shop named Pet's Haven and my younger sister Emmaline being completely enchanted by a, you guessed it, sea star. I should have known better though. I really should have. How can the most unnormal (by unnormal, I mean extraordinary and sent from heaven) twins in Michigan get anything normal?

It was love at first sight when Emmaline went straight to the aquarium and pointed at our soon-to-be Einstein.

"This is the one! He's perfect!" she said with sparkling eyes.

"But this is...a starfish. It doesn't start with E." I tried to wiggle my way out of this.

When I made the list of benefits of getting a pet. I thought of a hamster. A bird. A cat. Something not living in a different ecosystem than us. Upon seeing Pets Haven's vast variety of animals, I knew I would not get that lucky. A boy could pray, though.

I should not have been surprised, however, that my prayers weren't answered.

"Actually, they are part of the Echinoderms," said a voice behind Emma and me that I immediately wanted to mute.

Joy, one of the people working at Pet's Haven, had a pin on her apron that said "I'm here to help! Purrrr-real!" in the shape of a very furry cat licking its lower parts and winks.

Joy was not bringing me any joy. To be fair, it was not Joy's fault that I could foresee my impending doom, but she also wasn't really helping with her customer-perfect white teeth and chipper voice. I regretted our undertaking immediately.