Chapter 9

When I said we can afford no detours, of course we had two. I told the twins to bring a jacket, and bring one extra for Annabel Lee just in case, and when we already were leaving our hood and I inquired about them, Emma sheepishly admitted they would not need it.

So we turned around. I got three coats. When I went back into the car and announced we were really going to leave now, Annabel Lee announced calmly that she forgot her parasol.

So I got inside again to get her pitch-black and laced parasol.

I didn't even see her bringing it earlier.

When we finally arrive at Silver Lake High, our little troop catches a few curious looks from the other students. It would still take an hour until the guests or parents or whoever is supposed to let some money flow for some shitty High School art projects arrive, but I can see why.

With Javi and me staying behind, careful not to let one of our little sheep go astray, Emmaline jumps up and down excitedly.

"We're gonna go to High School soon!" she exclaims, excited and back in good spirits. I'm glad. When she heard we're going to a fundraiser, she turned it into a vernissage and thought the French name makes it incomparably more fancy.

Annabel Lee was indifferent, but Em also made wide eyes.

"Are we going to meet one of your teachers? I mean our future teachers?"

"Not if I can help it," I replied as I scrambled my things together. I got changed last minute, because Kinaaz insisted on a semi-formal wear, but Emmaline took the chance to dress up like a pro.

"We are going to be the COOLEST High Schoolers this school has ever seen!"

"I have no doubts," Javi smiled at her. We both wear jeans and a button down, but where I look like a sub teacher the most, Javi looks effortlessly classy. His white shirt looks like it was made just for him, and his locks shine in the setting sun. It should be illegal for a person to be this radiant.

Emmaline loses some of her glitter scarves in the parking lot she insisted on wearing as she runs ahead, leaving them as bread crumbs for me to follow and pick up. Javi comes over and touches my shoulder, and for a second this unfamiliar fire heats my cheeks, one that is not kindled by anxiety or panic. It makes my body light in a way I don't know, it feels kind of nice.

I don't realize I've been staring at him, when he clears his throat.

"You had glitter on your shoulder."

"I, oh," I look down, like an idiot and see he's right. I have thrown the glittery pieces over my shoulders and now I'm a guy in a white shirt, full of glitter. I find that I don't care.

"I kind of like it."

"Now I feel dull next to you, care to share?" Javi grins.

I laugh and fold one of the scarves as a necktie around him.

I'm incredibly aware of the skin contact and the heat that his body effortlessly seems to produce.

When I have the knot finished, my fingers rest there. My body seems unable to move, I don't know what's happening.

"Javi, that really suits you!" Emmaline says in front of us. She stands in the middle of of Em and Annabel Lee. As I take them in, my heart is filled with love. Emmaline outsparkles her clothes, her long hair flowing and her grin so wide, it makes her eyes shine. Em, leaning on their sister, cool and composed but content with being surrounded by people they like. I have met Annabel Lee only today, but what I didn't want to bring up was that the fact that Em brought home their first friend that was not part of Emmaline's group, was big for me. It meant to me that Em was starting to get more comfortable in making their choices, in finding themselves and deciding what feels right to them.