আমার দিন কাটেনা

Zachary's hands shook as he pushed open the glass doors to the ornate meeting room, he had been called to. It had just been a few days since Bhuvaneshwar sir's birthday and that night had been memorable for him in ways more than one. He took a deep breath as he took his seat, in front of the BCCI President and his female assistant. The man looked so snobbish, Zach would have been relieved to smack him in the face, but he had a well paying job and a golden opportunity at hand, so he decided against it. The lady began, "Zachary Mill, junior medic for the Indian Cricket Team, 25. Am I right?" There was something about her gaze which sent shivers down his spine. He nodded briskly, "Yes ma'am."

Finally the President addressed the elephant in the room, "Mr. Mill, we found some interesting facts about you after we conducted our much required background check. We would be grateful indeed if you co-operate with us." "Yes sir, I will try my best." The formal front of his would not last very long against these wolves, Zach knew. The woman turned through the file in her hand, "You seem to belong to the same place as our star player Yashasvi Jaiswal." "Ye-yes?" God! Why the fuck did I stutter! He blamed himself. "Did you happen to know him by any chance, Mr. Mill?" "Yes sir. He was quite popular for the skills he displayed at a very young age." The man leant forward in his chair and rested his elbows on the desk in front of him.

"You see, Zachary, you are quite young and so is Mr. Jaiswal. For the sake of past acquaintance, I would have to ask you to leave him on his own, because since you have joined the team as a medic, Mr. Jaiswal's form has been degrading." "What are you trying to say?" Zach was bepuzzled! "I don't understand the correlation sir!" The lady took over, "Oh! My dear, you don't need to worry about this. Consider this a warning, if you will. We would be happy to give you the choice to have your career or nothing." Zach sat there stunned for a few moments... How did the BCCI come to know about it! He had never slipped, never told anyone even a word about it! It was a secret he was willing to carry to his grave if needed! "Mr. Mill, you may take your leave. We do not have so much free time as you." "Yes, sir. Tha-thank you sir, thank you ma'am!"

All the way to his room, his safe haven, his thoughts were muddled. The minimal peace he had got from being able to see HIM face to face had turned into his worst nightmare! They... they had just held hands, for fuck's sake! Where did the BCCI find something bad in that! Cricketers hold hands all the time, it is common for them to give and accept physical comfort! Nobody complained when KD kissed Gill on the neck! No one complained at Rohirat's skin ship! Why him?! The moment he entered the room, he broke down in tears, memories from nearly 15 years back flooding his mind. He had been nine when he first met the cheerful person named Yashasvi Jaiswal. The first meeting wasn't something to remember, but for Zach it was special. Yash had been the first person to show genuine concern about him, after he got hit by the ball, Jaiswal had hit for a sixer.

The second meeting was a few years later, a beautiful day spent with a beautiful person. Zachary did not know what love was at that time, but the connection between them felt special. He had never demanded attention, just admired the elder from afar as he struggled to establish himself in the world of cricket. Their next proper meeting had been just after Yashasvi had turned 18. He had been picked by Rajasthan Royals in the IPL auction and had come home to celebrate. Somehow, just somehow, he hadn't forgotten about Zach. When they met, the connection had been instant. The whole evening had been spent chatting by the riverside, and watching the fireflies that swarmed around them. Yash had left only when the moon was high in the sky with a promise that he would meet him the next day. That period was heaven, in Zachary's humble opinion. They had snuck away so many times to the movies, parks, melas! It was then, he had told the cricketer about his love for Kathak, his desire to learn the art.

His parents had never been supportive of it - regarding dancing to be a hobby for women and eunuchs. It was against nature's laws for a man to like something that was meant for women, they had said - ignoring the scar their words had left in the young boy's mind. The next time which was the last time they had met, the youngest popular cricketer had brought back a pair of ghungroo for him. He had asked, with teary eyes, "Bhaiya, main aapko thanks kaise bolu?" to receive a warm laugh and a reply, "Jab Kathak sikh jao, then let me be your first audience?" It had been over 7 years since. Zach had moved out of his own house, against his parents' will who had wanted him to study medicine, he studied kinesiology, and had been disowned too, for being the person he had always wanted to be. He had even learnt Kathak, and was waiting eagerly, for a single chance to show his gratitude to the man who had helped him grow, to the man who he had loved even before he knew what love meant.