•C1 - "Lapis at Gitara"

"KRIIINGG....KRINGGGG..." The alarm clock's sound still rang in my head when I got up. I sighed, melancholy washing through me as I remembered that I transferred schools. "Ulit nanaman. Back to zero. Kainis." With a stamp of a foot, I stretched and got ready for today.

While still reminiscing about the memories me and my old friends made back then, I combed my wet hair. I got my guitar ready, because after all, I still had a side job to do. Nothing is free these days. I put on my uniform and got my money ready for when I commute. Not noticing the time, I checked my watch and my eyes widened. "UY- HANEP, 7:30 NA?"

I hurried, getting on the jeepney and feeling exhausted as ever. I looked over to the door, watching my boarding house get smaller as the familiar building eventually disappeared from my eyes. The sight of the busy street made me a bit relieved because I realized I wasn't the only one experiencing nervousness upon this school year.

"Para po, kuya!" I got off the jeep, now standing in my new school. I was an ant compared to it. It was pleasantly noisy though, knowing that nobody was paying attention to me. I ran towards the building where my classroom was, and just as I expected. "Start na? HANEP. PANO NA 'YAN?" I stood at the door, like a fool, and even almost dropped the guitar.

"Pasok ka, 'nak." The tension built up. My heart was beating really hard, and I didn't know if it was because of me running or my nervousness. I sat down, feeling the eyes of my classmates on me.

Introducing yourself went surprisingly well. I just made the typical "Hello, I'm Maxine Blanco." move. Lunch, alone, as usual. Everything was...ehh. The first few days of SHS as a freshman was challenging, but I managed. I even made a few friends.

A few months passed and while I was playing Mobile Legends with my friends, I heard a familiar voice calling out my name. "UY! Maxshie! 'look oh!" I turned around to see one of my classmates.

"Oh, Phoebe? Bakit?"

"Nakita mo ba yung mga nakapaskil 'dun sa building? May workshop daw para sa DSPC. Arat Feature Writing, oh?"

"Hu, 'yoko nga. Mukhang aksaya lang 'yan sa oras. Tsaka hindi ba't kakasabi ko lang sa'yo na may gigs ako after school?"

"Sige naaa! Kahit para sakin lang! Ayoko ng mag-isa dito. Tsaka malay mo, makahanap pa'ko ng pogi 'dun kung makalaban 'man tayo sa totoong DSPC!"

And with an annoyed sigh, "...Kakulit. Sige na nga." Phoebe, looking happy, jumped up and down. I looked down at my phone, watching my friends get mad at me for making us lose at ML. I pinched the bridge of my nose, the "what did I get myself into?" question running through my head.

The day finally ended. It was Friday, so it at least got me feeling hyped up knowing I still had weekends to rest. While walking down the stairs, I saw the flyers that were about the workshop, just like what Phoebe said. I decided to read one. "Hmm... Day 2 pa naman 'yung Feature. And... 1:30- 3:30pm. Ang haba, pero at least hapon pa."

I decided to head early to the place where I had a gig to perform to, feeling drained.

"Para sa pera."

After I finished the gig, I got home immediately, just wanting to feel the warmth of my bed. I laid down, and thought of the things I'd do during the weekends.

The weekends came by so fast, and in the blink of an eye, it was the day Phoebe and I would go to the workshop. "Hanep, kabilis naman yata." I got my long pad and pen, and left an excuse letter for my friends to give to our teachers. "Yieeeh! Finally, kasama ko na si Maxshie tomboy!" I chuckled and rolled my eyes, while we walk towards the room where the workshop for the Feature Writing would take place.

As we arrived there, the orientation was already starting. We took our seats, and I immediately noticed and felt the determination of these students to win, while I just joined in so my friend would have company. "As if naman mananalo ako, ikikimi ko nalang 'to."

The contest proper then started, and we were given a topic.

"How far would you go to achieve what you're dreaming of?"

I just basically wung it. With having little knowledge of how Feature Writing would work, I had no hopes of winning; which wasn't my goal anyways. I had other plans; to be a famous musician, known for her music that resonates with people, their souls, and their hearts.

When the contest was finished, I gave a deep sigh. I was a bit proud of what I had written, even if it probably had wrong grammar. "Tapos na! Finally!" I looked at Phoebe, who seemed to have finished as well, but when I looked at her face, it was like she'd seen a ghost. "Huy, Phoebe. Ano nanaman ba 'yang pinoproblema mo?"

"Ha? Ay, wala lang. Tignan mo kasi 'yung lalaki na 'yon. Kita mo yung pogi nayon? S'ya ata yung nag 5th place sa NSPC sa Feature at nag champion sa Cartooning last year. Grabe, gwapo na nga, matalino pa! Asa kanya na lahat!"

I looked at who she was pointing at, and there sat a boy who had dark, curly hair. He looked sophisticated. " 'Yan, pogi? HAHAHAHAH" I laughed. "At tsaka magaling ka din kaya, matatalo mo rin 'yan."

" 'Di ka makarelate, because you probably don't even like boys at all, likeee Maxshie, wake upp! Pogi s'ya."

"Teh, wala ako pake. Hm. Basta, sana manalo ka." I looked over at the facilitators, and we both passed our works.

After a day, the results finally came out. But the results weren't what I expected at all.

"3rd place in Feature Writing, Maxine Blanco! 2nd place in Feature Writing, Phoebe Gonzalez!" We both won. I managed to get the 3rd place. "Hala, totoo ba?!" Phoebe, shocked, pulled my arm as we both went up the stage. The feeling in my chest was kind of good, I think it was called pride.

"The top 3 will proceed to the Division School's Press Conference that will be held at Pampanga!" I could hear the audience clap. I wasn't used to this kind of attention, but hey, I'm proud. Very proud.

After some time during the awarding ceremony, I heard a voice calling me. "Hello. Ikaw 'yung nanalo ng 3rd place sa Feature Writing, diba?"

I turned around, only to see the same curly-haired, glasses having boy.

"My name's Sebastian. Sebastian Abadiano."

Immediately, I could tell that this boy was egotistical and prideful, which made me hate him even more. "Ok. Maxine. Maxine Blanco. Not-so-nice to meet you." I rolled my eyes at him, crossing my arms.

"Are you aware to who you're talking to? Ako lang naman yung nag CHAMPION sa Feature Writing at Editorial Cartooning."

"And? Hinahanap ko yung pake ko, Sebby Webby."

"Watch your tone, lady- ay, hindi pala."

I was right. I already loathed him.

"Anyways, we're going to be training together, so good luck sa pagtitiis sakin, Maxboy!" With a laugh, Sebastian walked away, feeling like a winner because he managed to annoy me.

"Luh, ano s'ya, gold?!" I stood there, my fists clenched. It's a new record. Usually I would only hate people after some time, but this? This was ridiculous. I swore, I'd never go to the training just so I won't see him.