Chapter 27: Suspicion

A couple of days passed by.

Everything was perfect. It couldn't get any better. 

Mina woke up with a wide smile on her face. New day New opportunities. Last night was definitely one of the best nights she has ever encountered. Everything looked better in her vision now. The world looked brighter. The sound of the birds felt like music. The trees looked greener. The sky looked clearer. She popped out of her bed, feeling the warm embrace of the sun on her skin and the cool breeze brushing her hair. 

She did her morning routine and had a proper breakfast. She slid herself into a bright red oversized sweater and a pair of blue denim ripped jeans. Then she tied her hair into a high ponytail and was ready to step out of her dorm, off to the class, confidently.

 Then she tied her hair into a high ponytail and was ready to step out of her dorm, off to the class, confidently

As she got out, she texted "Good morning <3" to Chaeng and walked towards her classroom. In a matter of few seconds, Mina got her reply back:
"Good morning, love"

Minari felt herself having goosebumps at the word "love". For the rest of the day, they kept texting. However, each of them ensured that neither of them ever missed out on any of the classes nor ever got distracted in their sessions. 

During lunch break, Mina was seated in the canteen all by herself having her lunch. She took out her phone and right before she entered her password, Chaeng called her. Both of their faces glowed with joy on seeing each other, even though they are on two sides of the screen. They placed their phones against their water bottles and talked to each other throughout their break.

Mina: Hey!

Chaeyoung: Heyy Minarii! How's your day goin?

Every conversation began like that and would go on for hours. But since, it was their lunch break, they had to cut short their call to an hour. Then, they went back to their classes.

Few hours passed by, and Mina texted Chaeng saying "Just done!"

She kept staring at her phone since usually Chaeyoung's reply arrives in less than 10 seconds. But for some reason, it was taking longer than usual. However, Mina decided to not make a big deal out of it and put her phone back into her pocket.

When she was back at her dorm, she popped onto her bed and grabbed her phone to check the notifications.

Still none. 

That caused Mina into thinking. Since she wasn't the jealous type, she never questioned Chaeyoung's loyalty. Moreover, they weren't actually "girlfriends" right? In fact, Mina kept wondering if she's alright or if something is up. However, her overthinking took hold of her and she kept thinking of the worst possible things that could have happened. Mina could see that her thought process is losing track of itself. So in order to calm herself down, she decided to take a small nap. She was anyway tired from her day at her college, so a nap should fix everything!

Mina kept an alarm for an hour later and then dozed off. 

.

.

.

An hour passed by, and Mina woke up thinking "Oh I should text Chaeyoung"

She took her phone and saw 9+ messages from Chaeyoung:

Minaaa

Soo sorry I couldn't text you back

I'm out with my friends

Our classes ended quite fast

We went to this cool dumpling place

They sold all kinds of dumplings. Fried and Boiled. 

OF VARIOUS FLAVOURS

I can't believe I have never been there even though it's right next to my uni

I am sooo full omg

Thanks to Somi for recommending the place to me!

She said she had been here with her family and now it's her favourite restaurant lol

You should definitely go there, Mina!

You will love it!

Mina had just woken up after a tiring day and reading all this information from her high school sweetheart took her a whole lot of time to process everything for sure. She wasn't very sure how to reply to this so she went onto say:

OOOHHH

That's cool, Chaengie!

I'll try them out soon sometime!

Mina felt some sort of tingling feeling in her stomach. And she knew it wasn't a nice one. However she slid away those hard feelings thinking it might be just her brain playing games since she just woke up. So she went to take a nice shower without letting any of her thoughts take control over herself. 

Once she was back, she checked her phone and saw no notifications. She thought "Maybe Chaeyoung is having a great time with her friends!" Then tried to distract herself by cleaning her room. However, her ears were longing to hear the notification tone from her phone and her eyes were longing to see the screen of her phone pop up with notifications. 

Hours passed by and still none. She checked her phone again and saw that Chaeyoung had read her messages but didn't reply. yet. maybe.

Mina thought to give her a text back.

"Heyy just done cleaning my room!"

There was this uneasy weight on her chest while typing down every word. She was just hoping everything is fine. She thought to not let this affect her, 'cause what if it's just her overthinking? So she sat down to do some work. 

Another hour passed by and again, there were no notifications. 

And...

Chaeyoung left her on read.

Mina definitely knew something was wrong. 

(photo credits to the respective owners)