Chapter 1 The Proposal of Marriage

It was a black night with heavy rain. The large house seemed muted, hushed as if it had been deserted. Emily was alone, as usual, sat there with an expression of sadness on her face.

She was too depressed even to turn on the light. Whoever would expect that Emily had been married for three years with Mark Archer——one of the most distinguished wealthy businessmen in this city.

Mark is the Chief Executive Officer of a large listed company. Emily, on the other hand, was not a well-known figure. She was just doing temporary secretarial work for Mark. She dressed simply and led a quiet life. Because of the ordinary job and an average family, almost no one would rate her a second glance.

But Mark was different. He treated Emily politely and gently shortly after she was hired. Mark is not only an excellent leader, but also a good gentleman who always invited her for a cup of coffee and even drove her home on rainy days. Fortunately, Emily had been living alone in this city and had no family or friends around.

Otherwise, they would definitely poke fun at them. As far as Emily is concerned, Mark is not only a smart man with a strong body, but also young and promising. So not surprisingly, Emily felt well-disposed towards this gentleman very quickly.

The job had Emily doing the same thing day after day. Shortly thereafter, it became another day, accompanied by a light drizzle. Emily would have thought that it was a dull and uneventful day, yet little did she know that this very moment would mark the onset of an unexpected turn of events for the better.

After a hard day's work, the clock finally struck 5 p.m., serving as a signal to Emily that it was time to finish her work. She was ready to clock off and relax. But deep inside, she expected that something will happen.

While packing up her belongings and contemplating whether Mark would offer her a ride home today, there was a knock on her office door.

"Emily, may I come in ?" Mark asked with a gentle and caring voice, as usual. His voice had a deep timbre made Emily's heart flutter.

"Oh, yes, of course you can!" Emily stopped what she was doing and waited nervously.

The door was opened with a click. Gently, Mark turned the knob and pushed against the door. He entered the office and closed the door. Emily felt her heartbeat quicken as he approached.

The office was a little bit tiny for two people. Mark sat down at her desk, and his long legs bent up in the confined space. Emily tried to appear casual, but she couldn't conquer her unease.

A small, unobtrusive smile curved the Mark's thin lips. He said, "It started to rain again." She was attracted by his smile.

Emily was still very nervous and waited for Mark's next words. She was quiet and a bit on the shy side. Mark didn't say anything but keep the smile.

After a few seconds, she answered with somewhat of a palpitating heart,"Umm, yes, today is a rainy day again."

He smiled and invited her as if he had not the heart to bantered poor Emily anymore:"Would you please give me an opportunity to accompany you home tonight?" He reached for her hand.

Emily was both flattered and surprised by Mark's attentiveness to her. Her face was suffused with the enchanting blushes.

She gave a slow nod of her head. Mark conjured up a smile and reached out to squeeze her hand. Hand in hand, the two young people walked from the office side by side.

Emily got into the passenger seat. She evidently felt that they were upon delicate ground. Maybe Emily was wrong and she was under the delusion that she was given special treatment by Mark. And she wasn't slow to realize that her speculation proved right.