Chapter VIII - My Problem

Though (Y/n) is giving their all, they continued to get hit by Maki's staff; even if they had a staff of their own, they failed to use is properly, given how foreign it was, to them, to even wield a cursed tool at all. So for the past hour (Y/n) was getting hit from top to bottom, from their head, to their face, to their waist, to their ankle, to their thighs, to their calves; each limb was a target for Maki.

Once (Y/n) fell, their back slamming against the grass with a loud thud, Maki was convinced to conclude today's training. "You're too tense." She remarks. "The hell is up with you today? No, you've been this way since we've started to train for the exchange event; what's going on with you?"

(Y/n) doesn't understand why Maki thought this way. "Nothing, why you do keep asking me that?" They sat up to maintain eye contact with their upperclassman.

"Maki's right, (Y/n)." Nobara had watched this sparing match from the sidelines. "I've noticed it, too. You look distracted. And it's obvious to everyone else around here."

"It's nothing important, really." (Y/n) reinforces. "It's not relevant to what we're trying to do here, seriously; so let's just drop it, please."

"If it's not that important, then why is it preventing you from training properly?" Maki persists. "You can't get stronger if you're bothered by something; it may be none of our business, but if you want to get stronger with us, then take care of it. Otherwise, you can even forget about participating in the exchange event at all if you're going to stay being that way." She glances over at Nobara. "Nobara, you're up."

"Wait!" (Y/n) stands up. "It's only been an hour! We usually spar for two hours--"

"Like I said--" Maki reiterates. "You can forget about training with us if you're going to keep wasting our time with this dazed-off mindset of yours." (Y/n) reacts with a pale look. "Call it a day and figure out what you need to take care of. If you can't, then I'll just tell Gojo-sensei that you aren't going to participate the exchange event."

(Y/n) struggles to understand why Maki would take such extreme measures. "What?! You can't just keep me from training! More importantly, from the exchange event itself! You literally asked me to make a contribution in the first place--"

"But can you really do that with the way you are now?" (Y/n) goes quiet at this question. "It's pointless to even try helping you if you're holding yourself back on purpose. It's annoying. And I'm sure it's annoying to everyone else here. Do you want everyone to start worrying about you, when your priority is to do the opposite?"

"Of course not! I want to get stronger! I can get stronger! You're just rushing me!" (Y/n) stands their ground on this issue. "But we if spar for a few more minutes, I'll get the hang of it and--" Maki crouches down and kicks out a leg, forcing (Y/n) to lose their balance once again. But, this time, Maki prevents (Y/n) from falling back down to the grass; this time, she holds (Y/n) by a fistful of their workout jacket, with one hand alone, while using her free hand to hover her staff over the center of (Y/n)'s face.

"Jujutsu sorcerers are always suppose to come through in the toughest of times. They have to be willing to sacrifice it all, whether it's for their own pride or for the satisfaction of others." Maki insists. "If you really can get stronger...if you really are ready for the exchange event...then take my staff away. Right now. Do something that'll prove that you really are a jujutsu sorcerer. Hell, you can even use your cursed technique. Just. Do. Something."

(Y/n) wasn't going to admit it, but they were experiencing a sense of distress when they were being put in this position. Something about Maki's gaze kept (Y/n) from even thinking at all; all that they could think about was how they would only mess up in trying to fight Maki. They just didn't have the courage necessary to prove their point. How could they? Their cursed technique wouldn't do any good either, because they'll only worry about Maki's well-being; they have a long way to go before they can use their cursed technique freely. And that's the most frustrating part of their circumstance.