Chapter 4: Bully Me Twice

"Good morning, Draco... er, Malfoy," Hermione greeted him with a bright smile, their routine now comfortably settled after three weeks of working together. She had not experienced any further memory lapses, and Draco's presence seemed to be very good for business. 

The females, and even some males, seemed to be quite taken with him, and she couldn't blame them. Draco Malfoy was many a vile thing, but hard-on-the-eyes had never been one of them. Hermione hated to admit it, but even as teenagers she had found him alarmingly attractive, and it had infuriated her to no end. 

 How could someone who had been so despicable towards her also be so strikingly handsome? It was a question that still bothered her, though it seemed he had now shifted from being her adversary to her ally. Or so she hoped.

"I prefer Draco," he responded with a smile, his gray eyes holding a hint of genuine happiness that caught Hermione off guard. Stepping aside, he allowed her to unlock the door with a flick of her wand. "Alohomora," she uttered, the satisfying click of the lock releasing as the door swung open. 

As they entered, the familiar scent of books enveloped them, and Hermione felt a sense of comfort wash over her. Turning to Draco, she continued their conversation, determined to establish a more casual rapport between them. "In that case, please refrain from calling me Granger moving forward. I also prefer us on a first-name basis," she suggested, moving to hang up her coat and place her purse on the desk.

Before their conversation could progress further, a familiar voice interrupted from the front door. Hermione's heart sank as she spotted a heavily pregnant Ginny entering the store, freezing in her tracks as she caught sight of Draco.

"Well, shite," Ginny cursed.

 Moments later, Hermione entered the alcove of her shop with a trembling tray of tea, finding Ginny and Draco in an uncomfortably silent standoff. Setting down the tray with a huff, she sank into her chair, feeling the tension thick in the air. 

Draco lounged casually, one ankle propped on his knee, a smug smirk playing at the corner of his lips. Twat, Hermione cursed inwardly, shooting him a glare.

Ginny, on the other hand, appeared more perturbed by the situation. Her expression reflected a mix of concern and confusion as she glanced between Hermione and Draco. 

"I can explain," Hermione blurted out, feeling the need to diffuse the mounting tension.

"Oh, for fuck's sake!" Draco exclaimed, throwing his hands up dismissively. "It's not like you're a child," he continued, his smirk widening. "You can fraternize with the enemy if you damn well please."

Horrified by his flippant attitude, Hermione bristled at his words, but before she could respond, Ginny's fiery gaze landed on Draco. Hermione didn't envy him in the least. Ginny's rage was a force that many would (and did) cower from, especially now that she was pregnant.