Chapter 3: A New Commander And Squad

The group was nearing closer to the Ark and established a connection with Shifty.

"I'm sorry for your loss. I'm sending you directions that lead back to the Ark. From there, you can get some rest."

"I don't think it's a good idea for me to go into the Ark," Y/n stated.

"He has a point since he doesn't have an ID chip. He could be arrested for trespassing or worse..." Shifty said.

"But aren't you a commander now?" Anis questioned.

"I think that's a one-time thing. I don't think they were expecting us to survive."

The young man passed Marian's gun to Rapi, "Come visit the Outer Rim if you ever get the chance."

The young man walked away, leaving Anis and Rapi. I didn't sit right to them to watch him head back alone.

"Wait, Commander. We will walk you back," Anis said.

"Are you sure you're not insane?" The young man teased.

"It doesn't sit right with us," Rapi said.

Y/n chuckled, "Okay, let's go."

Before Shifty signed off, the young man asked her an important question.

"How exactly did Marian get corrupted?" He asked.

"That corruption code implanted into Marian's brain must've acted as a navigator. It guides Nikkes to the Blacksmith's location. That way, they're served their "food" on their doorstep," Shifty explained.

"But she was acting completely normal before she went completely haywire," Anis questioned further, a bit more edge into her tone.

"That's probably because of the Y/n. A Nikke's highest priority is protecting their commander, but she must have changed her focus to keeping Y/n safe."

'Is it my fault?' The young man thought.

"Meeting him must have been when her priorities shifted out of order. She was completely defenseless when near the Blacksmith, meaning the corruption had already progressed until it became severe."

"When did it start, Shifty?"

"What?"

"When was she first corrupted?" Rapi asked.

"During the operation, I suppose... Ah, yes..."

"You said she was the one who sabotaged the transport ship, right? She must have already been corrupted at that point. And that transport ship we were in came from the Ark. She must've been corrupted from here."

Shifty is shocked by his answer, "That shouldn't even be possible! Were the Aegis Barriers broken?"

"No, the Aegis Barriers are strong. They'd pick up any corruption in an instant," Rapi says.

Shifty forwarded the details about the mission to a man who eyed her report with curious amusement.

"That concludes my report! Is there anything else you need from me, Deputy Chief Andersen?" Shifty asked.