Chapter 14 The Path to Power

Deimos, now officially a full-fledged princess, knew he had to be careful and prepared for the journey ahead. He had to not just disguise himself as a woman, but still manage to maintain his status as an aristocrat, while hiding his magic and avoiding trouble where people could find out his secrets that he was so careful to hide. He must be clever and resourceful, for he has entered a strange and dangerous world of power redistribution.

He decided to gather information about the nearest towns and villages, find a safe place to sleep and find a way to get to the capital of the neighbouring kingdom of Mercy. He also planned to find clues about the portal that brought him here and try to open it again or create a new one. He was looking for friends and allies who could help him in his quest.

Deimos made some progress in his preparations. He continued to use his second personality under the name Iris. He also made clothing and accessories to match his new princess appearance. He improved his magical skills by learning new spells and potions that could help him in various situations. He also trained his body, improving his strength, agility, and stamina. He made several weapons: dagger, crossbow, and throwing knives. He was also making enough money by selling his potions and finally selling off the remaining valuables found in the mansion.

Deimos was ready to leave the royal palace and continue his journey. He packed a rucksack with the essentials and still had some time to chat with Albert- Isolde, it's good to see you home. You look beautiful, like a true princess. - said Albert with joy and some relief.

- Thank you, father. I am glad to be home. - smiled Deimos.

-I would like to discuss an important matter with you. I have received several marriage proposals from various kingdoms. I think it would be a good move for our future of our kingdom, knowing that we could use allies in the fight against the cult. - Albert began in a businesslike manner- Father, I appreciate your concern and I understand the whole situation with the Raven Cult. I don't know who they are, what their power is, or where their base is, but I know what their goal is, so I would like to ask you for a favour. I need some time to get used to my new life as a princess, you in turn will make a sample of potential candidates for my husband and select all those who want my hand in marriage. I want to continue my journey and learn more about our kingdom and its people. - Deimos clarified in a calculated manner.

- I understand your feelings, Isolde. But you must realise that marriage is not a matter of love, but of profit and politics. It can strengthen our ties with other kingdoms. - Albert insisted-I realise that, Father. But I also believe that I can contribute to our kingdom in a different way. I want to use my knowledge and skills to help our people and prove to them that I am worthy to be called their princess, and in the future queen, because respect cannot be bought, only earned. - Deimos said insistently.

- I see that you have grown into a wise woman, Isolde. I will give you the time you ask for. But remember that you will always be my daughter, and I want only the best for you. - said Albert with an understanding tone of voice.

- Thank you, father. I promise I won't let you down. - thanked Deimos.

Leaving the capital, Deimos knew he could not reveal his secret to anyone, Deimos continued his journey through dense forests and green meadows where he encountered many creatures and dangers. He fought wild beasts and brigands, assassins from the raven cult, he used his magic and his nature to protect himself and those around him. He also met many people and creatures, some of whom became his friends and allies.