Clash of Wills: Parenthood

I tightened my grip on Apollo's hand and guided him over to the overly curious receptionist. "Could you keep an eye on Apollo for a few minutes while Atlas and I have a quick chat?" I tried to sound confident, but inside, I was kicking myself for getting into this mess. The receptionist, clearly not thrilled about playing nanny, began to protest, but I couldn't afford to let her objections derail my plan.

Interrupting her out of desperation, I crouched down to Apollo's eye level and issued a firm command. "Apollo, please behave while I talk with your dad. We'll be back down shortly. And remember, I don't want to hear any trouble when I come back." Apollo responded with a cheerful but unconvincing "OK!!", and I prayed that he would keep his promise as I reluctantly left him in the receptionist's care.

I strode over to my boss, also known as my hubby, who stood there annoyingly calm and confident. As I approached Atlas, my heart raced with a mix of nerves and determination. "Atlas," I began, trying to keep my voice steady despite the whirlwind of emotions swirling inside me. "We need to talk."

Atlas regarded me with a quizzical expression, his piercing gaze probing as if trying to decipher my intentions. "What's on your mind, Kayla?" he inquired, his voice calm yet tinged with a hint of curiosity. There was an edge of caution in his tone, as if he anticipated a rash decision on my part.

I loathed how I had just showcased my impulsiveness, driven by the raging hormones typical of my youth. Goodness, why did this man have to annoy every fibre of my being? The way his suit jacket hugged his broad shoulders, the confident stride that commanded attention, the smirk that revealed his perfect dimple—it was all too much. I needed to rein in my hormones and remind myself why I despised men in the first place.

Gathering my composure, I met his gaze squarely. "Let's go upstairs," I suggested, gesturing subtly towards the private confines of his office. "I don't think we can talk here, in front of your workers, my future colleagues, and Apollo." It was an invitation, yes, but also a desperate plea to relocate our conversation to a more suitable setting. To my relief, Atlas agreed, though I sensed his reluctance.

Once in his office, he turned to face me, his expression guarded. "What is it, Kayla?" he inquired, his voice measured, betraying none of the turmoil brewing beneath the surface.

Taking a deep breath, I launched into my proposal, attempting to exude confidence despite the uncertainty bubbling within me. "I'll agree to play the role of Apollo's mother, but on one condition," I began, my tone steady despite the racing of my heart. "I want to have a say in his life while I'm playing that role. I want us to co-parent." The words spilled out in a rush, a desperate plea tinged with hope. "I believe he needs a maternal figure, like you had suggested, and perhaps it will benefit him. During this period, we can find him a suitable nanny and maybe even arrange for therapy to help him navigate whatever situation exists between his mother and you."

Atlas's eyebrows shot up in surprise, and I could see the skepticism in his eyes. "Co-parenting?" he repeated, his tone tinged with doubt, the anger simmering just beneath the surface. "You're my CFO's assistant, Kayla, not Apollo's actual mother. You don't get to dictate his upbringing or pass judgment on my life." His words cut through the air like a knife, sharp and unforgiving. "You need to learn your boundaries, and I agree with you earlier, this arrangement will not work."

He paused, his gaze unwavering, but the anger still simmered in his voice. "But don't worry," he continued, the words laced with a hint of resentment. "You'll still get the one-month trial in the assistant position." It was a thinly veiled dismissal, a stark reminder of my place in the hierarchy of his company. "Please leave my office and find Leah to continue with your training." The finality in his tone brooked no argument, yet I found myself hesitating, unable to simply comply.