Prolouge: Tarot Cards

"And so, my dear," the older woman began. You'd decided there was no harm in participating in the local pub's little spiritualist night, but this tarot reading was hitting scarily close to home. "Your past, the eight of swords," stated the woman, who'd introduced herself earlier in the night, but you were too distracted to remember. "You were trapped, perhaps restricted, either by yourself, or something else. A relationship, friendship... secret, perchance?" That was vague enough, yet close enough too... but you told yourself any closeted person restricted themselves. This was an old crone, and a fun little game after one to many a drink, you needn't take it seriously.

"Your present. The queen of pentacles. My dear your feminine energy is overflowing, your humility, your affluence, your success. You're right where you've always wanted to be." Praised the woman, tucking her long brunette hair behind her ear. That was true enough too. You were dating a woman who had so much power in your industry. Celeste's parents owned the paper you wrote for, and you'd been promoted far faster and far higher than you ever dreamed. You were living with the love of your life, and a cat, in a fancy apartment in the middle of London. Life was bliss, she was right.

As your session draws to a close, you pick the final card. "What is it, my dear?" She asks. "The Tower." You read, looking at the picture, an old stone tower, being thrashed at by the tide and struck with thunder. The old woman's face contorted, as though this card was worse than you could ever imagine. "Bad... awful things will come your way. Change you will not like, an utter catastrophe to say the least." Her tone was flood with doom, but perhaps it was the alcohol, or pride, but you didn't believe her.

Three weeks later, you wish you did...