Proem

The girl sat in the obscurity of the room, staring upward into the dark sky outside the window and watching, with wary eyes, the dance of the infinite stars.

     They reminded her of a past she could not quite reach up to, as hard as she tried.

     Each star held its own sparkle, shining for itself and mingling with the million others, as if recalling their bond.

     Some of them shone more dimly, falling into the long-lasting distance. Each more so. The girl imagined the darkness to hide stars of its own - and she could associate herself to them.

     Slowly, slowly, fading...

     Suddenly, a loud knock broke the silence of the room.

     It continued noisily, like a hammering stroke dashing through the confinement of the walls.

     Megan jumped to her feet, reaching for the black furry lump that meowed in protest on her bed and then headed to the small closet. She pulled out a weird looking device and threw it into her backpack.

     "Shh, stay still. Please," she handled the tiny kitten gently, pulling it into the bag, before skipping up to the window sill and opening the window.

     Just before leaping out, she heard the soaring toll of the bomb.

     And then everything was blown up.