Chapter Fifty Five: Dancing with Peril

55. Dancing with Peril

04-21-2024

A/N: This is entirely an original chapter, which is why this took a little longer to publish :) Yay character development!

Q: What is something that comforts you? It could be anything!

-----

"It's you right? The mastermind behind the petrification? Kukuku...I've been dying to meet'cha. 3,700 long years, in fact. This is exhilarating!"

.
.
.

"If we find him, maybe we should just kill him."

You were with Haru, explaining the situation once you had returned to the mainland. This so called "Why-Man" had given you the chills through Morse code, and Senku's provocation made it no better now that you've got a bigger problem: an unseen enemy from who-knows-where with the ability to petrify just about anyone. Thus, the first meeting of the Five Wise Generals, consisting of Senku, Gen, Ryusui, Chrome, and Ukyo, was established within the Kingdom of Science. It had ended with the creation of the radar, and the others going out to sea with it.

"And risk getting petrified again? Sure," you scoffed as you held your sword up to them. "And why are you thinking of murder?! We shouldn't result to killing, remember?!"

"It was only a suggestion!" Haru retorted as they swung at you.

Mori, Haru's mother and your teacher, was kneeling on the floor of the newly created "dojo" as she watched the two of you sparring. The dojo just consisted of a massive tarp and smooth, wooden floor next by the seaside. She joined in on the conversation, "It is important to understand their motives first before deciding punishment on them."

"Well, I think turning everyone to stone and destroying society is unjustified!" said the child, striking you from above with their weapon. "Hearing the word 'WHY instead of something like 'who are you' sounds like they wanted all of us dead!"

"But the thing is, we don't know who or where they are. Who knows if this 'Why-Man' will come after us first?" You replied as you parried.

"That is why you must train--to be prepared for the unknown, and to protect the ones closest to you," said Mori. Suddenly, she had gotten up from her spot, meaning that your spar was over for the day. You and Haru sat down on the floor to rest and rehydrate yourselves. The woman gazed directly at your eyes with those grey ones of hers, confusing you. She spoke up in a firm tone, "(Y/N)-san, do you think you're prepared to fight the unknown?"

You thought about it for a second, then looked up at her with a determined expression. "Of course. As long as I have Senku and the others with me, I will win."

All she did was squint her eyes a little as she slightly furrowed her brows. "You wouldn't fight for your own sake?"

"As long as the others are okay, I should be fine," you replied as you looked at Haru.

She then sighed. "Alright. (Y/N)-san, I'd like to see your skills right now. I want to see how far you've grown."

You were bewildered by her sudden request. "Right now?"

"Yes. This will be a test." The woman nodded. She looked at her child and strictly informed them, "Haru, you sit and stay there. No matter what happens, do not interfere."

Whatever she was doing, it got you feeling uncomfortable. Sweat dripped down the side of the kid's head as they heard their mother speak to them like that. Agreeing, they answered, "Yes, mother."