7 | bombs and trains, and so the balance shifts

"Dazai has disappeared?"

Aoi rubbed her forehead with a frown. "He hasn't been answering his phone and he wasn't at the dorms, last I checked," she said.

The other members of the Agency weren't concerned.

"He's just floating in some river again," Kunikida said, typing on his computer.

"Or he could be in prison this time," Kenji said as he stared at a potted plant with a happy smile.

Ranpo was staring out the window, his back to everyone. "My guess is he left to flirt with a woman."

"Isn't he being targeted by the Port Mafia?" Hajime asked as he leaned back in his seat.

Aoi eyed him. "You're not actually thinking that—"

"That man's ability to sense danger and stay alive approaches nightmarish proficiency," Kunikida told her.

"Just think about how he's as healthy as can be despite numerous suicide attempts," Kenji pointed out.

"I doubt the Mafia alone will be enough to get the better of him," Ranpo said, munching on some snacks.

"I'll investigate it."

Aoi looked over and smiled at Jun'ichirō as he walked over. "Are you feeling better now?" she asked.

He waved a hand. "Yes, thankfully. I'm sorry I worried you."

"So you've finally recovered," Kunikida said.

"It's all thanks to Yosano-sensei's treatment."

Kunikida looked away. "So, how many times did she get you?"

Jun'ichirō paled drastically as he was reminded of the woman's treatment. "F-F-Four times," he stuttered out.

"That many..." Kenji murmured.

"Aoi-chan...as long as you remain at the Agency, remember to never get injured," Jun'ichirō warned her raspily, crouched down and terrified.

She laughed nervously. Great, another reason to be scared of doctors!

"If you think you're at any risk, run," Ranpo advised, making her turn and blink at him. "You should cultivate your ability to sense danger every day." He pulled out a pocket watch and she could feel her heart sink to her stomach. "For example, ten seconds from now..."

Akiko let out a yawn as she stepped inside the now barren room. She smiled when she saw Aoi. "Ah, Aoi-chan," she greeted. "Are you hurt anywhere?"

"Nope." Aoi shook her head.

"Damn."

Damn?

"I was hoping to have someone accompany me on a shopping trip, but I guess you're the only one available," the doctor said, sounding oddly disappointed.

Aoi smiled and clapped her hands together. I suppose this is what Ranpo meant about sensing danger... "What are we waiting for?" she asked. "Let's get going."

~ — — — ~

She knew that the doctor would be one of those people who loved to shop until they dropped, but this was a bit ridiculous...

Aoi was balancing several boxes and a few bags hanging from her arms as they walked through the mall while Akiko wasn't carrying anything but herself and her medical bag. Aoi vaguely wondered how much longer they were going to be shopping, but didn't ask that question out loud.