Chapter III

The band was gone and the staff was finishing removing all the equipment from the stage. I packed up my cameras and lenses, trying not to dwell too much on what had happened, and headed straight to the van that would take us to the hotel. It was going to take a while for the van to fill up completely with the staff members so I took the opportunity to do a bit more research on the band.

I Googled them and discovered that they had a rather intriguing story behind them: the lead singer, Vessel, claimed to be a receptacle for a God called Sleep. Ah, I see. That's why the band is called Sleep Token, it makes sense. The other members of the band didn't have names; they were designated by Roman numerals: II, III, and IV. No one knew who they were although many tried to discover that.

They also had a very peculiar way of communicating on their few social media channels. They used words like "worship," "rituals," "gather," and other things that made their fans seem more like a cult. That gave me the chills and I started coming up with bizarre explanations for everything that had happened to me that night. My theories went from telekinesis to making a deal with a powerful demon - or maybe a God? All theories were equally terrifying to me.

"Care to explain to me why this band seems lowkey satanic?" I texted Alan but he didn't text me back. "He usually replies very fast so he must be asleep", I thought. The painkillers he was taking for the broken arm were strong enough to take him down.

Suddenly, my thoughts were interrupted by an intrusive voice.

"Hi beautiful, how are you feeling after your first Sleep Token concert?"

"Hey, Jace. I'm feeling good, they're very talented. I hope they like my work." I was lying, I wasn't good at all. I was terrified, my head was hurting like hell, and I didn't even pay attention to the concert.

"They are one of a kind, right? Everyone can tell they're gonna be great. What are you doing tonight?"

"I'll probably spend the whole night editing the pictures, why?" Fuck, I shouldn't have asked why. He'll invite me to do something and I have a hard time saying no to people, even the worst of them. I just wanted to take a shower and sleep this mad night off.

"Me and the other roadies are meeting up in the hotel bar to have some drinks. We have this tradition of drinking after each gig, and you are the rookie so... Fancy a drink with us?"

That invite sounded like a good idea, actually. I could use the relief that only alcohol could bring, and maybe I could find more information about the band.

"Hmm sure, yes. Thanks for inviting me. I'll just take a quick shower and I'll meet you in the hotel bar. It'll be good to have some company and meet other staff members."

"Do you want company in the shower too?" He said, giggling.

"What the fuck?" This escaped my mouth faster than light.

"Hahaha it's a joke, Ava. But if you want, I can..."

"No, I don't. And just so we're clear: I don't date coworkers."

"Alright, sorry."

He seemed truly sorry but I don't think that this was his last attempt at getting me into his bed.

My hotel bedroom was quite nice, and I didn't have to share it with anybody. "This band must be making some good cash to provide the staff members with such a cool room", I thought. I took a quick shower as promised and then put on a long and loose black dress, a leather jacket, and my black Vans. I looked in the mirror and thought I could use some color, so I applied my favorite red lipstick which I used every day and still, I could never remember the name of the brand.

I walked out of my room and felt like something was watching me. I looked to both sides of the corridor and no one was there. It was probably my weird brain playing with me. I shook my head and focused on the questions I would like answered tonight.