Summer Arrives

Summer arrived in Mist Haven and everything seemed to slow down. Businesses started their rolling closures throughout the summer months so their staff could enjoy holidays and rest before everything picked up again when schools reopened in September. The government was no different except for Regina. Queens did not take holidays. Instead, they went on state trips and stole some moments here or there to relax.

"So, where do you want to go this summer?" Tink asked, joining Regina on her balcony overlooking the royal gardens. "France? Italy? Spain? The States?"

"You know I don't pick my state visits based on where I want to go," Regina reminded her chief of staff, pouring her some lemonade sent up by the kitchens. She handed the glass to Tink. "I go where I need to go and when I need to go."

Tink sighed. "No, you go where and when your advisors want you to go. It's your life, Regina, and you're allowed a holiday, no matter how much you don't think so."

"I know you worry about me, Tink, but I'm fine," Regina replied, sipping her lemonade. "I grew up doing these state trips."

"And you mean to tell me that your father never took you and your mother on vacation without any matters to also deal with?" Tink asked, raising an eyebrow.

Regina paused, recalling winters spent in their mountain chalet and summers spent in a seclude villa in Italy. They had a reduced staff there – and really only for her mother, who refused to do anything for herself since she was a queen – and they were almost like a regular family on holiday. She had enjoyed those escapes and her father always looked more relaxed when they were there.

Heavy is the head that wears the crown. That Shakespeare quote rose up unbidden to her mind yet again. It was always there, ready to remind her of the gravity of her responsibilities as Queen.

"That was different," Regina replied. "And maybe it will be different once I have a family."

If I ever have a family.

"Maybe," Tink said, looking unconvinced. "So, if you are able to go somewhere, where would you go?"

Regina shrugged. "Maybe I'd spend some time visiting towns in the country. I haven't done that since I was Crown Princess."

"True," Tink agreed. "It might get some positive press."

"Maybe," Regina replied. "But we both know the media will find some way to turn into a big scandal."

Tink sighed. "They are exhausting. I wish you would really start letting us push back against some of the claims. Or at least give us more control of your image in the press. The Windsors do."

Regina hummed. "The Windsors have their own issues."

"All royal families do."

"I suppose so," Regina replied with a shrug. "But really, the press here is harmless."

Tink frowned. "Your people think you're some evil queen who cares only about money and power and not them. In short, they think you're your mother."

Regina shifted in her chair, knowing that Tink had a point. "They aren't storming the castle demanding my removal."

"Yet," Tink replied. "I wouldn't be surprised if someone did manage to convince them to do that. And my money would be on Sidney Glass."

"That would probably be a good bet," she said, thinking of their short relationship. She had ended it when it was clear he desired power more than anything and had a vindictive nature that terrified her.

And she knew he had turned it toward her.

"You need to stop Sidney," Tink told Regina.

"I can't," Regina replied, feeling helpless. "If I attack the press, we could attract the wrong attention and could damage our chances at joining NATO. I can't risk that."