Unexpected Affections

Rick, Morty, and I stumbled out of the portal, our latest adventure leaving us exhausted and traumatized. As we entered the kitchen, I noticed Beth standing there, her usual confident demeanor replaced by a tense unease. Before I could greet her, she bolted out of the room.

Concerned, I followed Beth into the garage, where she stood, tears streaming down her face.

"Beth, what's wrong?" I asked, placing a comforting hand on her shoulder.

She looked up at me, her expression a mix of fear and longing. "Y/N, I... I need to tell you something."

I listened as Beth poured out her feelings, her words tumbling out in a rush of emotion. When she finally confessed her crush on me, I was taken aback, unsure of how to respond.

Before I could collect my thoughts, Rick burst into the garage, his eyes narrowing as he assessed the situation.

"What's going on here?" he demanded, his tone sharp with suspicion.

Beth's tears intensified, and Rick's protective instincts kicked into overdrive and Rick intervened, grabbing Beth by the arm and pulling her away. "That's enough," he snapped, his voice tinged with concern as I shot him a worried glance

"Beth, you stay away from Y/N," he ordered, his voice leaving no room for argument.

I exchanged a worried glance with Rick, unsure of how to diffuse the tension. As he ushered Beth away, I couldn't shake the feeling of unease that settled over me.

I could hear him talk as they walked away

"Beth, this is ridiculous, Y/N is off-limits."

I stood there still just shocked by the whole thing.

Alone in the garage, I thought to myself, wondering why Rick got upset about that. Had they talked about this before?

Rick returned, his demeanor softened, and he placed a comforting hand on my shoulder.

"Are you okay?" he asked, his tone surprisingly gentle.

I nodded "Yeah, I think so."

Rick sighed heavily. "I'm sorry you had to deal with that. I'll make sure it doesn't happen again."

As he offered me a reassuring smile, I realized just how much he cared for me, even in his own complicated way. However, I still had questions. I couldn't help but voice my suspicions.

"How did you know what was going on with Beth so quickly?" I asked, studying his expression for any hint of deception.

Rick's eyes flickered briefly before he shrugged nonchalantly. "Just a lucky guess. Anyways, we need to talk about avoiding the galactic government, after what we just did."

I wasn't about to let him deflect the conversation.

"No, Rick, we need to talk about this. Did you know about Beth's feelings before?"

Rick's demeanor shifted, his usual nonchalant facade cracking slightly as he snapped, "It doesn't matter what I fucking knew. You shouldn't be getting involved in her drama."

He was annoying me now. "She's my friend too, Rick. I care about her."

Rick's voice rose in anger, his words cutting through the air like a knife. "You shouldn't waste your time caring about her. It's a crush. She'll get over it."

My patience wearing thin, I stood my ground, raising my voice to match his. "She's your daughter, Rick. You should be more supportive, more caring. You can't just ignore her feelings."

"You dont know anything about our past y/n. Don't lecture me about how to care for my daughter."

I refused to back down, my own frustration boiling over. "Maybe I don't, Rick. But I know what it's like to feel alone and ignored. Beth deserves better from you."

Rick fell silent, his gaze hardening as he turned away from me, signaling the end of our conversation. But as he walked away, I couldn't shake the feeling of disappointment in his lack of empathy towards Beth.