Enlightenment

What's... this feeling? Am I... floating? Weird.

The air had an odd odor, leaving an unpleasant taste in my mouth. It wasn't revolting, but rather reminiscent of the metallic scent when you smell coins.

Despite the weightiness of my eyelids, I made a conscious effort to pry them open. Excruciating pain shot through my skull, like pins and needles piercing through my eyes and into the delicate areas of my brain. I continued to keep them open, then blinked a few times, hoping the pain would subside eventually.

All I could see was pure black. I wasn't certain if I had truly opened my eyes or if it was just my imagination. After a few more blinks and being unable to see my right palm, which was just a few inches from my face, it became evident that everything was engulfed in pitch black. There wasn't a single speck of light to be seen.

I didn't know why, but sometimes when I closed my eyes, I would see disturbing imagery in my mind. At times, I witnessed a man stomping on a doll that was a foot-and-a-half long in a fit of pure rage, at other times, I saw him as he stabbed a couple of mannequins, consumed by remorse. But everything would vanish as soon as I opened my eyes.

My right hand's fingers reached out, searching for a surface to touch.

It feels... smooth... and cold.

Tiles? Ceramic sink?

I pressed my palms to the surface on each side and slowly swiped them across it, just to see how large this object was, hoping to identify it.

Realization hit me that the sensations were a bit off. To my right, everything felt solid, and I could sense the cold, hard surface beneath my palm. To my left, I couldn't feel much.

I was confused, so I attempted to retreat and touch the surface once more. It dawned on me that there was a surface to the left, since my hand came to a halt without continuing any further, yet I couldn't perceive any sensation directly. So I adjusted my position slightly and reached out with my right hand to touch the left side, and there it was — the familiar cool, solid ceramic beneath my fingertips.

As things unfolded, I realized that I was lying on my back, although not quite, as I didn't feel anything in direct contact with my back. I was definitely floating, there was no doubt about it. I attempted to push away with my feet, seeking a solid surface, only to realize they were dangling over the edge of something. I recognized this sensation now.

A... bathtub, huh? Did I fall asleep in my bathtub?

Well, it's not daytime right now, I thought, glancing in the direction where my bathroom window was supposed to be located, at least I don't think it is... Unless I'm in a basement bathtub or something. So... did I sleep through the whole day?

When did I fall asleep? And... Why don't I remember anything?

A sickening knot of dread coiled in my stomach. My head began to throb gently with the onset of a familiar pain, you know, the kind where you know that a migraine is on its way to meet you.

I grabbed onto the edge of the bathtub, trying to step out, but my balance was off. Despite my efforts, my left hand lacked sensation, causing me to tumble back in and splash water all over.

Why's my left hand numb dammit? Can't even get out of this shitty little tub.

The splashing of the water eventually subsided, but it's agitation had already intensified the odor.

I sat there for a while, and to be honest, I considered staying put until morning. Maybe I could sleep and wake up when it's daylight, and then figure out what to do when I can actually see something around me. But before much time had passed, some voices startled me.