Prologue

(Reversed Bilbo Baggins by fishfingersandscarves)

Belladonna Took was upon a tombstone, her nimble fingers held a sharp dagger with great care. With slow, deliberate strokes, she etched a name into the stone, leaving behind a lasting memorial of the departed. Her eyes remained fixed on the task at hand, her movements precise and graceful, as if she were engaged in a delicate dance. After plating the final letter, she was dazed at the words.

Bungo Baggins.

She lay before the words and wept.Behind her, a young dwarf appeared. His curly hair cascaded down to his shoulders, and a thin, short beard adorned his face. Clad in a dark blue robe, he looked quite somber. His eyes were puffy and red-rimmed, as though he had cried himself to sleep the night before. He dropped to his knees beside his mother. "I'm sorry," is all he said.

He clung to her as he began weeping also.

...

"Hail Bilbo Baggins! King under the mountain!" roared the voice of Belladonna Took as she placed the crown of Bungos on his head. The crowds of Dwarves proclaimed with joy to their new king, Bilbo Baggins son of Bungo son of Mungo.

Then, the rush of wind flushed him. The great dragon, Smaug, climbed out of the mountain and leapt to the air. His voice thundered across the land, proclaiming, "Blessed King under the mountain!" The Dwarves loudly proclaimed these words back.

Bilbo stared down at the crowds who shouted his name with pride. A large smile grew upon his face. Smaug landed near him once again, breathing fire at the excited quarrel of Dwarves. Bilbo stood his ground and smiled back. A few of the Dwarves cheered as they took cover. Others tried to hide their faces when Smaug's fiery breath hit them. A few even cowered away from him in fear. Bilbo snickered at the scene before facing the main crowd again.

His expression shifted then into a more solemn one. He cleared his throat and hesitated. The dwarves noticed and grew silent. "My people, it is I, Bilbo Baggins, son of Bungo, that you have honored as your new founded King. And I thank you all for your loyalty... But..." he paused 

 and looked back down at his feet. Words vanished from his throat.

He turned around quickly and walked towards the dragon, who watched him patiently. "But I shall rest before my duties. You can enjoy yourselves at the celebration feast for now and Queen Belladonna will assist your questions. Thank you," he added swiftly, facing the crowd once more. 

Smaug flicked his tail worriedly. 

He continued to dodge the faces of guards who stood behind him and made his way back to where his mother stood. She wrapped her arms around him. He relaxed into the embrace. He needed that for the giant fish flopping around in him. The two held each other for what seemed an eternity as the cheering slowly died off. They eventually parted and Bilbo returned to his throne room.

Smaug came through the dwarf-made door for him and settled behind the Throne, watching as did Bilbo did the same. Smaug was essentially a "watchdog" for Erebor. He guarded the treasure for the dwarves and the dwarves would feed him in return. He found it a quite nice life.

"You seem tired, my King."

"Not tired, more bothered." He said as he squirmed in the throne. "I didn't want no celebration party just because I wear gold on my fine head!"

The Dragon guffawed at him and laid his head beside Bilbo's throne. "You are bothered by dwarves drinking for your name?" she finally asked, before adding, "Do not scowl at such love, King under the mountain! Let joy ring in your halls!"

"I just don't like how I'M the king they sing praises for...."

Smaug looked at the Dwarven King with sudden empathy. "King under the mountain, do not think like that! You may be faithless in hope but my faith can be your steps! I believe you will be a great king, you will not be the downfall of Erebor! I will say that faithfully till my soul departs."

"Hmm...Thank you, Smaug," he answered, unconvinced, but smiling nevertheless. Smaug believed it at least warmed the young king's heart. He needed it after such a tragic death.

The death of Bungo Baggins was hard for all.