chapter 1 , daily life 1 : to hunt for freedom , to hunt for fun

word count : 3967

im writing this at 3am so if there are any errors ... 😞🙏🏿

Kuma

Well, shit.

Honestly, what more can I even say? I didn't bring my phone, I didn't bring my laptop, and now I'm trapped in a fucking death game. And even if it's all some elaborate prank, a starter for this whole challenge that might not even happen anyway, I still can't leave. None of us can.

Not to mention that the people I'm trapped with are pretty useless right now. Not to be unduly harsh, but seriously, crying now? Really? When someone's missing, that fucking bear is still smiling at us, and we're trapped here? Look, I get everyone's scaredWork now, cry later.

That girl, though, at the door — I know her! I saw a couple of her interviews a few months back. She made that one popular manga, uh... Virtual Soul Reviver, or something? I dunno. But it begs the question of what she's even doing here in the first place. If she's so rich, what does she need here that she can't get from another book?

"Are y'all just gonna stand there like fuckin' statues, or are we gonna move?! Ery's missin', and I dunno how long that thing-" She points accusingly at Monokuma, who feigns shock and indignation, "is gonna keep 'em safe!"

"Monokuma said that we're on a scavenger hunt for Ery, right? They've got to be alive. If there's no prize, there's no hunt. I doubt we'll be sent on a wild goose chase if the goal we're searching for isnt even alive."

That's...a really harsh way of putting that. Like, damn. That's cold.

Everyone's looking at the guy at the back. Shuri, right? I can't say I know him. I only heard his name because the girl at his side kept bugging him. He doesn't exactly look friendly, and it seems like nobody's fond of his words. Birdie looks like she's got a lot to say, but not the words to say it, which explains their scowl. God, for someone so short she's kinda intimidating. Chills.

"'Alive' doesn't equal 'safe', Shuri," says Ismasu. When I met her, she looked like joy personified. Her smile was contagious. But she doesn't look so happy now. She looks irritated, irritated at Shuri, like he's struck a nerve with her. "But you've never prioritied the safety of your clients, so I doubt you'll comprehend that."

Ooh. There's beef. I'm listening. I had no clue they knew each other.

"Familiar faces, how lovely!" Monokuma cries. God, I've never heard a voice so annoying. "Lawyer meets detective! How will this play out, I wonder?"

"Private investigator, actually." Shuri folds his arms and regards Ismasu with a coy smile. "Nice to see you again, Ryota. I didn't think I'd have the pleasure after you bombed that case."

Ismasu folds her arms. "I still suspect foul play. You'd know that if you actually showed up to the court proceedings instead of slinking around back alleys. What'd you find there?"

"More than you could ever hope to find in your little briefcase."

"Still wasn't enough to turn the case over, was it?" She's clearly unhappy now. "You're a shitty detective and an even worse partner. I can't believe I have the misfortune of seeing you again."

Everyone's quiet now, watching the proceedings unfold. Man, I should've brought popcorn.

"HEY!!" Emi screams. She's waving her arms about frantically, trying to get our attention. "Can't y'all stop beatin' like a bunch o' bullies for two seconds so we can fix 'n find Ery? I'm seriously worried!"

"And worried you should be! Ery won't be in mint condition much longer!"

Someone needs to shoot that fucking thing.