Departure

Flecks of pink sunrise peeked through the curtains of the Denner's blue, white kitchen windows. Outside Gen Denner could hear Christopher Pidlow aggressively mowing his already evenly cut lawn. If he chopped anymore off there would be none left, she thought to herself, smiling at her neighbour's ridiculous attention to detail she began placing the cookware back in the draws. They wouldn't be needing it for a long while.

As she hummed along to this mornings' ear worm, a thunderous crash sounded from the stairs. Sighing at the constant chaos in her household she tiptoed to the door and peered down. Lying on the carpet was a grey suitcase covered in paint splotches and old surf stickers.

"Lara Denner, what is the meaning of this?"

Hasty footsteps followed the outburst and in no less than three seconds a small, slightly crumpled girl stood before her. Her hair appeared to have been scrunched into a bun or a ponytail, Gen could not tell, and an oversized pink t-shirt fell to her mid-thigh. Her daughter looked up nervously at her, blue eyes wide with earnest.

"I sweat I didn't throw it down," "it slipped, honest!"

The words came out in a rush, eyes flicking everywhere but on Gen.

"I know you didn't throw it down," Gen let out a breath, "You wouldn't be able to lift it, let alone throw it."

Lara smiled sheepishly up at her mother, fiddling with the edge of her shirt.

"Well, if that's you packed then I expect you in the car in ten minutes, no later."

Gen fixed her daughter with a steady gaze and raised eyebrows,

"We don't want a repeat of last year now do we?"

"No, we don't mother." Lara grimaced.

She smiled lovingly down at her daughter for a second before turning and walking briskly back into the kitchen, humming a tune, and taking a moment to relish the fact she had raised a teenage daughter who obeyed her, not that she could say the same for her son, but it was still an achievement.

Speaking of which....

"Mike where are you?"

This time a pair of Nikes padded their way down smoothly to the landing, accompanied by loose shorts and a grin that said and hid everything at the same time.

"I don't care what you have planned, just get in the car," "I know you've been ready to leave since six this morning and whatever you are going to unleash on our posh neighbours can be saved for when we are no longer in the city."

The tall boy grinned wider and placed a toned arm on her should,

"You are my favourite mother, you know that."

"Yes," Gen smirked at her child's slick attempt, not slick enough though, "I am aware also that I am your only mother and therefore am the only person in this house to hold a driver's licence, something you don't have yet."

She raised an eyebrow and he looked away at the comment.

"Since you neither have this or a car of your own, I am the only person who get you to our holiday destination so unless you want to stay behind with dear old Christopher next door, I suggest you get in the car."

The Nikes quickly disappeared out the front door to be replaced by Ugg boots and brushed hair,

"Oh good, you're ready!"

"As per usual," Lara winked and hurried after her twin.

Locking up the door herself, Gen wondered what this year's summer would bring, hopefully something more relaxing than last year, though she doubted it very much.

The key clicked firmly into the door of number 12 Waterfield Avenue as Gen looked up to the clear blue sky, she knew that summer had officially begun.

This is the start of my first long story, would really appreciate advice on the writing. Also the chapters will be longer this is only the opening.

Please vote, follow me and comment any suggestions. <3 Luv4Print xoxo :)