The Demon Corps

Part One:

Hellfire

Chapter 1:

"Winter Contingency"

The words hovered on the screen like the presence of death over a wounded soldier. Admiral Hackett couldn't believe that the words actually appeared before him. He never thought the Covenant would make it all the way to Reach alive, and yet, here they were. Ready to do what they had done to Harvest, Arcadia, and many other planets in human controlled systems. Hackett leaned back in his chair, holding the datapad in his hands as he just stared at the projection. He covered the lower half of his face with his right hand, his left trembling in both fear and anger. He knew what must be done, but could he really send scores of men and women to their deaths? "All in the name of humanity...what a bunch of bullshit" he thought to himself.

Unfortunately, as an Admiral of the UNSC, he had no choice but to defend humanity at all costs. To protect Earth, her colonies, and her secrets. He pressed a small button on his desk as the intercom with the front desk came to life; "Pamela, send me Spartans B321 and S132" he said in a hurried and stern voice. "Right away, Admiral." Came the soft, gentle voice of his receptionist. Hackett remembered when he first brought her on to work for him, 5 years ago. She was barely 23 graduating from the best IT university in New Alexandria. Hackett saw that she had graduated with flying colors that would make aerospace engineers have headaches.

Lost in his thoughts, Hackett didn't notice the two Spartans had entered the office, standing at attention in front of him, both helmets in their left hand, as was customary with all UNSC personnel. Both arms went up into a salute as Spartan Chay began to speak; " Sir, Spartans S132 and B321, present as requested." The Spartan spoke in a grizzled voice. "At ease, Spartans." Hackett returned the salute from his seat and leaned forward as the Spartans now stood at parade rest, eyes straight forward without moving. "Christ, Spartans, you're guests here. You can look at me." Hackett spoke in a soft but deep voice as those two words from earlier sunk deep into his brain. "Is everything alright, sir?" Spartan B321 asked.

His nickname had been Trigger for the longest time since ONI blacked out his real name and date of birth. One of their prized headhunters, Trigger knew the meaning of lone wolf and carried it well. Almost too well. He wore the default Mk.IV (B) Variant armor that some Beta Company SPARTAN-III supersoldiers were given. His colors, a dark gray and silver. The other Spartan, S132 was named Chay. Taken at a young age by ONI agents, he was one of the lucky survivors from the gruesome SPARTAN-II supersoldier training and augmentation. He wore standard Mk.V armor that all SPARTAN-II supersoldiers were given. His colors, a dull sage, all over. Chay's visor was a shiny color resembling gold, while Triggers was a slate black.

"Unfortunately, Spartans, everything is not alright" Hackett spoke as he turned the datapad to face the two Spartans. Chay leaned in and saw the words, Trigger was immediately in shock as Chay leaned in. "Winter Contingency" flashed on the screen, in a manner of an alarm. "Sir...who confirmed this?" Trigger asked in surprise as his words choked his throat slightly. Hackett was no stranger to how the Spartans felt. This was their home as much as it was his. "Noble Team engaged with Covenant forces at Visegrád Relay at 07:45 hours. They confirmed it with Colonel Holland, who then sent word to the fleets." Hackett said with a sense of dread at the situation.

"Whatever needs to be done sir, we can get it." Chay spoke sternly, looking Hackett deep in the eyes. He knew it was unprofessional and broke guidelines, but the time for formalities was over now. "I need you Spartans to rally with whatever Spartans you can find on-planet that aren't already on deployment. I'll get Mute on the line, as well. Inform him of what's happening." "Sir, Mute is-" Chay began to speak but was quickly silenced by Hackett. "We do not speak of that manner out in the open." Hackett said sternly. "Now then, do as I ask." He said in a rather cold tone. The Spartans did a quick salute before stepping out of the room, putting their helmets back on their heads to hide their faces. Hackett arose from his seat and walked to the window, overlooking the mega-city, New Austin. His work was about to be cut out for him, after all, it seemed...