thirteen.

"welcome to the slay ball!" everyone cheered at the announcer. "if you're a baddie with a body beyond the binary, then make your way to the stage and show us what we want to see. next category: virgin vogue, bring it in an all-white look. DJ pump the beat."

darren was on the stage giving it their all, evie cheering for them as danced.

"you were so good!" everyone gushed and darren giggled, evie taking herself back to the dancefloor where everyone else went.

she was still dancing with malakai, hands around his neck as she really felt the ket kicking in. "you're so fucking hot." she breathed out into malakai's ear.

"that's all you." he replied, hands groping at her ass through the skirt.

everyone left the club, malakai giggling at nothing and evie twirling around looking up at the sky. "it's so pretty out here!" she shouted at no one in particular, dusty and harper laughing at their friend who was so infatuated with the stars.

evie and malakai walked forward, holding hands, evie swinging their hands forward and backwards. "you wanna come over tonight?" malakai asked.

"you're drunk." evie pointed out and malakai giggled.

"a little bit cute, ay?" he pointed out.

"little bit. you know that morning after we..." evie said, hand on his face. the cops were moving everyone forward. "come on let's go cops are here."

malakai groaned, holding evie's arm. "finish what you were gonna say." evie put her hand on malakai's face and began pulling him forward again.

"let's go." she cocked her head.

"they're not gonna do anything." malakai chuckled but evie kept trying to drag him forward, nearly tripping over her heel in the process.

"party's over! it's time to move on! clear the streets!" the cop yelled and malakai grumbled again.

"the party poopers have come to poop on our party." malakai giggled to himself, evie even laughing a little bit. the copper shoved malakai. "good night officer. no crims on the street, ey?" he chuckled again.

"watch it." evie said to the officer who put a hand on her back as well as malakai's.

"move." he shoved them again and evie felt a bit panicked, bad memories coming back again and again.

"hey, too rough." malakai said and the guy pushed him again. malakai turned to face the copper and turned around again. "fuck off, dog."

the copper body slammed malakai and shoved evie to the floor.

"malakai!" evie shouted, immediately getting off her ass to shove off the copper who was on malakai. everyone began yelling as malakai laid on the floor.

the copper kept shoving evie back and put her in a chokehold to restrain her. tears began prickling her eyes, her breathing unsteady as she cried, she felt trapped all over again until she elbowed the copper and watched as malakai ran off, her little legs taking her as fast as they could even if she was in the middle of a panic attack.

she didn't notice the smears of blood on her skirt from where she skinned her knees and palms, how it was running down her arms from the cuts on her elbows. "hey, hey look at me are you okay? oh my god." evie tried to grab malakai's hand and he brushed her off.

"that was so messed up." dusty said breathlessly. "hey evs, you okay? you have blood like... everywhere." dusty grabbed evie's arm and looked at the cuts on her elbows, hands and knees.

"i knew they were gonna do something! why didn't you listen to me!" amerie yelled at malakai and evie was truly too stunned to speak.

"why are you yelling at me for?! they didn't come after you." malakai shouted back, clearly distraught and evie just stood there looking vulnerable as anything the way malakai looked.

"um... did anyone.. did any of you film it?" amerie asked and asked ant to send her the video. "we gotta expose them, we need to share this."

malakai begged for amerie not to share it as evie felt like the world was closing in on her, sitting on the kerb with her knees to her chest as she wheezed in and out.

spider put a hand on her shoulder and evie flinched away. "don't touch me. don't. don't touch me spider." she begged, trying to curl up as small as she could.

"alright but you didn't get body slammed by the cops, he did." spider pointed out.

"you don't have to be such an asshole he had me in a chokehold." evie replied, chest still heaving up and down.

"and he body slammed your boyfriend over there." spider pointed out malakai who was still panicking. evie just tried to drown out spiders words but he just kept picking and picking and picking, "so fucking dramatic," until she snapped.

"just fuck off spider." she shoved him back where malakai was still arguing with amerie.

"amerie just listen to me, don't post it." malakai said through his panicking. "did you just post it? what the fuck... i told you to leave it. fuck off! just fuck off out of my life!" malakai was crying and took off at a run, evie hoisting herself after him with harper and dusty in tow.