AMARA

SANTA CLARA, CALIFORNIA

1:15 AM

JANUARY 13th

All I feel is Mikah's hand in mine.

We have to find Adaliah soon. She could be anywhere in California. I still have no clue why she left in the first place; she just up and left and said it was for the best. First, she leaves with no explanation, next Daxton gets sick, then Jalon has a breakdown with the rebellion with missing Adaliah's leadership. After Adaliah shot Kasey and Emika and left the whole group panicked and turned its back on Jalon, before I left, I found a note in my dresser reading in her beautiful handwriting.

Amara,

I hate having to leave, but it's for the better. Tell Daxton I'm sorry. I hate to do this, but I'm unfit to rule over The Afflicted. Maybe I'll be Queen of the Nation of Jewels someday. My anger overwhelms many people; I see it in how they look at me; they fear me. Normally, I like being feared, but I haven't felt right since Daxton woke me up and pulled me from the fire. I have never felt this vulnerable in my life, and it terrifies the hell out of me. I am so sorry, I want the best for the tribe, and I am clearly not it. I hope he understands why I made this choice, and I hope you do too; my fate might be the same as my family's. I don't want to have to drag you all to your deaths; this is my battle, and I'll fight it alone. I'll miss you and Daxton every day. I can't do this. I love having you as my 14th sibling. Daxton, I miss you and hope you'll forgive me. I'll sing every night, and you'll hear me wherever I am. May the truth always set you free, and your love always guide you home.

Love always,

Adaliah

She wanted to stay, but she couldn't. With most of her Alignments being negative traits, she has a harder time keeping her anger and dangerous side to herself. It was hard for her as a child. I've known her since we were five. I was one of the first people she got to know inside the Capitol and was the first to know about her boyfriend, Mason Merrick, abusing her. She never outright told me he was abusing her; it was obvious with all the bruises and cuts on her. I was the first one to know she is Ryker Rose; Daxton and I are the only ones who know now. It was one of her aliases to get by without being tracked by Mason until he found out by spying.

I can tell you she has neverfallen in love except for one boy in the Capitol, Rhys Paris, and when that...ended, she shut herself off. I always try to warn boys about her, but whenI saw how Daxton made her laugh and she danced—danced! —with him, I knew she wasgetting around to being happy again. Adaliah is usually only happy when she is slitting someone's throat, so I found it great that he makes her happy, too. Adaliah has always been independent due to the people in her life dying becauseof her and abandoning her. Her uncle Adrien tried to kill her as a baby and wasput up for sale by her drunkard eldest brother, Ryland. She has always shut offher heart to everyone and for Daxton to align with healing and break down hershield, I think she has a real chance at ruling one day. If she ever returns. Idon't know the full story of her and Rhys, but I know enough to know why shecried for months after him. To this day, I bet some part of her heart stillbelongs to the boy in chains.