Chapter 1

Claire woke up, feeling like everything was pointless. For the past few years, everything had been pointless. She looked around in her dorm room. The other beds were empty. This room had remained empty as a way of showing the grief of the remaining agents of the deadly class 12. Over the empty beds, there were protection symbols. Elijah had made these to keep out Visitors, because Stephen's dreams were haunted by the dead. Everything seemed to be falling apart. Lockwood ran away, God knows where, Scarlet was at the hospital after 2 suicide attempts and Claire didn't know when she would see her again. A knock snapped her out of thoughts.
- You doing ok there Re?
/I would like you to clarify whether that was a rhetorical question or a serious one. Because if it's a serious one then I'll tell you that I feel hopeless and desperate. We don't have anyone anymore. We lost them so no I'm not doing ok, Kipps.
Kipps looked at her with a sad face and sat next to her.
- We will make it Re, don't worry.
/How do you know that?
Tears started forming in her eyes and before she knew she was sobbing. Kipps held her head on his shoulder.
-I don't. I just hope.
That was the last time Claire saw Kipps for a long time.
Years passed and Claire was travelling to central London. Alone. Scarlet wasn't getting out of the hospital any time soon and Claire was now in a train holding her letter.
Claire, you can't throw away your life for me. You are talented and i can't bear the thought of you rotting in that old dorm. Run away and find a job where they respect you, as we always dreamt of. I found Lockwood. He's got an agency now and i need you to go there. I'll join you once I'm ok.
I'm really sorry,
Scarlet
She probably read the letter a thousand times but she never managed not to cry. Scarlet was right as hard as it was to believe. Claire stared at the piece of the newspaper she'd sent her. It had an announcement for Lockwood's agency. It didn't mention many details, but it was pretty clear. She'd tried to stop all those weird thoughts that made her think: "what the fuck?", but she ended up looking out the window, praying for her luck to be better now. She was gonna be independent now, and make a fresh start. A hard start.