Story 1: MediumShip

In the year 1987, I went to Shadow Town with my mom, Karen, and my sister, Emily—like we do every year. When we got there, the locals welcomed us warmly. Our relatives, Aunt Lydia, Uncle Frank, and my cousins, Sarah and Jake, were all waiting for us. After we unpacked, we spent the day wandering around the eerie little town.

Shadow town always intrigued me. The narrow, cobblestone streets, the old-fashioned gas lamps, and the heavy fog that rolled in every evening made the place mysterious. We visited the town square, where vendors sold trinkets and antiques, and the old library, which was said to be haunted.

"Do you really believe the stories?" Emily asked as we passed the library.

"I don't know," I said, glancing at the dark windows. "But it makes the place more interesting."

As we walked, Aunt Lydia pointed out landmarks and told us ghost stories about the town's past.

"Legend has it, the old church bell rings by itself at midnight," Aunt Lydia whispered. "And no one lives to tell the tale of what happens inside the bell tower."

We all laughed, but I felt a chill run down my spine. As night fell, the adults left us kids in charge with a stern warning.

"Don't open the door for anyone," Uncle Frank said. "We'll be back soon."

"Sure, Uncle Frank," I replied. "We'll stay inside."

Feeling curious, I suggested playing with the Ouija board that came with the house.

"Are you sure this is a good idea?" Emily asked, her eyes wide.

"Come on, it's just a game," I said, trying to sound brave.

We followed the instructions: dimming the lights, lighting candles, and placing our fingers on the planchette. As we started, the planchette seemed to move on its own, focusing on me.

"Is anyone here with us?" I asked, my voice trembling.

The planchette slowly moved to 'YES'.

"Who are you?" Sarah asked, staring at the board.

The planchette spelled out 'L-U-C-Y'.

"Lucy, what do you want?" Jake asked.

The planchette didn't move. We waited in tense silence, the candle flames flickering.

Following the game's rules, we said goodbye and went to bed. Later, when the adults returned, they secured the kitchen door.

"We keep this door locked because it's old and easy to break into," Uncle Frank explained.

Just as we were settling in, the TV suddenly turned on by itself, startling us.

"That was weird," Sarah muttered.

An hour later, Jake went to the bathroom and found the kitchen door open. He turned on the light but saw only a chair.

"Must be the wind," Jake said to himself as he locked the door.

Later, Sarah found the door open again. This time, she saw two chairs—one inside the fridge!

"This is getting creepy," Sarah whispered, her voice shaking.

She tidied up the kitchen and went back to bed. Suddenly, we heard a loud crash from the kitchen. We all rushed over to find glass everywhere. We called the police, who searched the building and the neighborhood.

After finding nothing, we locked the door again and tried to sleep. But an hour later, the chandelier in the living room shattered. We called the police again, and they searched the house.

"It's like someone doesn't want us here," Emily said, clutching her blanket.

I overheard Mom and Aunt Lydia talking. They seemed to expect the chandelier to break.

"We need to call someone to stop this from happening," Aunt Lydia whispered.

Curious, I confronted them. They told me about a woman who accidentally opened a gateway to the underworld, putting a curse on our family.

"You need to know the truth," Mom said seriously. "This woman cursed us."

"When I talked to her, she warned me about a threat and said a book would self-destruct when evil enters our world," Aunt Lydia added.

They explained that the cursed book and Ouija board had been following me.

"It's our job to break the curse," I said, determined.

The next morning, we searched the attic for clues. It was a dusty, dimly lit space filled with old furniture and trunks. Emily found an old journal.

"Look at this," she said, holding up the journal. "It looks like it belonged to the witch."

We gathered around as Emily opened the journal. It was filled with handwritten spells and notes about the underworld.

"This must be where she documented her practices," Sarah said softly.

One entry caught our attention:

"March 15, 1942. The ritual was a success, but the gateway remains unstable. I must find a way to close it before it's too late."

"We need to find out more about this ritual," I said. "Maybe it holds the key to breaking the curse."

We spent the rest of the day deciphering the journal. It described a ritual involving rare herbs, specific incantations, and an ancient artifact called the Shadow Amulet.

"Do you think the amulet is still here?" Jake asked.

"Only one way to find out," I replied. "We have to search the house."

We divided up and began a thorough search. Hours passed, and just when we were about to give up, Emily called out from the basement.

"I found something!"

We rushed to the basement to find Emily holding a small, ornate box. Inside was the Shadow Amulet, a dark, gleaming stone set in intricate metalwork.

"This is it," I said, feeling a mix of excitement and fear. "Now we just need to perform the ritual."

That night, under a full moon, we gathered in the living room. We arranged the herbs and lit candles, following the instructions from the journal. I held the Shadow Amulet tightly as we chanted the incantation.

Suddenly, the room grew cold, and a shadowy figure appeared before us. It was the witch, her eyes filled with sorrow.

"You have found my amulet," she said, her voice echoing. "Use it wisely, and you may close the gateway."

With trembling hands, I held up the amulet and continued the incantation. The witch joined us, her voice merging with ours. A blinding light filled the room, and then, silence.

When the light faded, the witch was gone, and the room felt lighter, as if a great weight had been lifted.

"It's over," Emily said, tears streaming down her face. "The curse is broken."

We collapsed into a group hug, relieved and exhausted. The Shadow Amulet lay on the floor, now just a lifeless stone.

The next morning, we packed our things and prepared to leave Shadowtown. As we drove away, I looked back at the house, feeling a strange mix of sadness and relief.

"We did it," I said, squeezing Emily's hand. "We broke the curse."

As we headed home, I knew that Shadowtown would always be a part of our lives, but the dark forces that once haunted us were gone. And we had each other, a bond stronger than any curse.