𝐇𝐞𝐚𝐯𝐞𝐧

April 21st 2024

"The power of youth is on my mind
Sunsets, small town, I'm out of time
Will you still love me when I shine
From words but not from beauty
My father's love was always strong
My mother's glamour lives on and on
Yet still inside, I felt alone
For reasons unknown to me"

Old money by Lana Del Rey blasts through my speakers as I delicately make brush strokes onto my canvas. Painting is such a therapeutic pass time for me. It's a nice change from having to write thousand word essays for my English Literature class. Feeling calm and at peace as I dip my brush into the sombre, blob of black paint, I hear my phone ring. I press answer and hear Kalynn's loud voice, causing me to pull the phone away from my ear momentarily. 

"CAMILA!!" Kalynn screeched.

"Jesus Kay, there's no need to yell." I reply, laughing.

"Well this is very important Cam." She answers, I can feel her rolling her eyes through the phone causing me to chuckle.

"Alright, well tell me what is sooo important then." I question sarcastically.

"Just thought I'd let you know I'm coming over to see you, like I'm literally on my way right now!" Kalynn announced. "So unlock the door for me American." She says with a thick southern accent.

"Shut up Kay, the door is always unlocked so just walk in" I cackle.

"Okay partner!" She yells, once again in the same thick southern accent.

I laugh and hang up the phone.

Kalynn Jackson has been my closest friend since I moved from California to Britain. Our paths crossed in an unfortunate event, or maybe it was fortunate, depending on how you look at it. When I landed at Heathrow Airport in London, I was devastated to find out that the airline I had flown with had lost all of my luggage and personal belongings. So there I was, In a unfamiliar place, no luggage, no friends or family and only with my bare essentials. The airline had informed me that they would reimburse me but I would have to go out and repurchase everything myself. 

I met Kalynn in Brandy Melville after I asked for some support with finding a whole new wardrobe. She happened to be one of the workers and was super understanding after I explained the events of the morning. We spoke a lot and got to know each other, and it just so happened that Kalynn was attending the university that I was planning on applying to next year. It was nice to know that a familiar face would be around!

Since then, we have been inseparable. 

The music resumes, so I pick my brush back up and continue painting slow, sleek lines in the shape of decrepit, black angel wings, sewn onto a thin females back with long, black ribbon. This painting is inspired by lyrics in one of the songs I've been working on recently. The song is called 'Heaven' which is my alias for my singing career. I have a couple of songs out which have managed to help me pick up around five thousand monthly listeners on Spotify. Singing is something I would like to pursue as a career however, due to my overly strict parents they don't believe that becoming an artist is a real job and that I should just focus on my studies. Having my alias is the only way I can pursue what I want to do without any backlash from my parents. In a way not having my face attached to the music feels freeing. I can live a normal life without all the hassle and the things that become with fame. 

A couple touch ups are made here and there, finally completing my potential album cover. Stepping back, my eyes scan the artwork in front of me appreciating my hard work and dedication. 

Suddenly, a presence is felt over my shoulder and I am brought out of my trance to see Kalynn standing in my doorway with her mouth agape and her eyes wide. "Holy shit Cami!!! That's amazing!!"