𝐌𝐎𝐎𝐍𝐋𝐈𝐓 𝐌𝐔𝐒𝐄

𝐂𝐇𝐄𝐘𝐀𝐍𝐍𝐄𝐒 𝐀𝐏𝐀𝐑𝐓𝐌𝐄𝐍𝐓
𝟏𝟗𝟒𝟓

The smoky haze of the Cotton Club clung to Marlon like a second skin, even after we'd escaped the clamor and heat into the cool night air

The smoky haze of the Cotton Club clung to Marlon like a second skin, even after we'd escaped the clamor and heat into the cool night air. He followed me up the rickety fire escape to my tiny Harlem apartment, a hesitant smile playing on his lips. The place wasn't much one room with a threadbare rug and a worn armchair bathed in the pale glow of the moon filtering through the window. But tonight, it felt like a palace.

I fumbled with a record, finally settling on Billie Holiday. The mournful melody filled the cramped space, the Victrola's whirring a comforting backdrop as I offered him a drink.  He settled onto the edge of the armchair, stiff and uncomfortable, the city lights twinkling like scattered diamonds outside the window.

"Want a drink?" I asked, swirling the amber liquid in my glass.

He blinked, his gaze darting around the room. "Uh, sure. Thanks."

The silence stretched, punctuated only by the rhythmic crackle of the record. I took a long drag from my cigarette, the smoke curling towards the cracked ceiling. It was a nervous habit, a shield against the unfamiliar vulnerability that had settled over me.

"So, Marlon from Nebraska," I said, my voice husky. "Tell me about home."

He took a long sip of his drink, his Adam's apple bobbing in his throat. "Well," he began, his voice rough around the edges. "It's a lot of sky and not many people. Lots of cornfields, endless seems like." He chuckled, a self-deprecating sound. "Not exactly the most exciting life."

His words sparked a strange curiosity in me. This awkward man from the middle of nowhere had captivated me on the dance floor, and now, sitting across from him bathed in moonlight, I wanted to know more.

"Sounds peaceful," I mused, taking another drag from my cigarette.  "Peaceful in a way the city never is."

He looked up, a flicker of something akin to surprise in his blue eyes.  "Peaceful, yeah," he agreed. "But lonely too, sometimes."

The vulnerability in his voice tugged at something inside me.  "Lonely, huh?" I echoed, my voice softer now. "What brought you to the Cotton Club then, Mr. Lonesome?"

A wry smile played on his lips. "Maybe I was looking for a little excitement," he admitted, his gaze meeting mine for a beat longer than necessary.  "Maybe I found it."

The warmth in his eyes sent a jolt through me.  I quickly stubbed out my cigarette in the ashtray, the sudden action breaking the unspoken tension.

"Let's see about that, Nebraska," I said, a teasing lilt in my voice.  "How about some of that excitement you were looking for?"

I stood up, the worn wooden floorboards groaning under my weight.  Walking over to the Victrola, I replaced Billie with a slower, more sensuous record. The music filled the air, a silent invitation.

Turning back to Marlon, I extended a hand.  "Care to dance, stranger?"

A slow smile spread across his face, erasing the awkwardness from earlier.  He took my hand, his touch sending a spark up my arm.  "I wouldn't miss it for the world," he murmured, his voice husky with unspoken desire.