Chapter 3

"I guess I never want to have kids." Charlie once told her mother after her cancer diagnosis. It was not really about not wanting to have kids, but what if she was the one who got sick one day, what if her own children suffer because they might lose her mother ? It was also about the impact on the environment. Charlotte Clark cared about the environment a lot. She was careful about where her yarn came from, she was careful about the vegetables she would pick at the store, she was careful about her own ecological impact on the world. She actually wishes more people would care about this, about this beautiful planet. Yet, she would love to have a little girl or boy one day, to educate them, spread some love and receive some in return.

When she woke up this morning, she thought about this one sentence, staring at the white ceiling above her. She sighed. Would anyone want to make her a mother, after all ? Would she want to carry a child for nine months, give birth, go through that type of pain ? She recently turned 26, of course this would be one of her preoccupations one day... maybe it was too early though. Getting up, sighing again, the redhead moved her arse to the bathroom to take a quick shower and switch outfits from her pyjamas to orange-yellow-white-black-and-white plaid pants and a dark green sweater. The thing about her clothes is that they always had to be coloured. Los Angeles is a sunny city so it was indeed not really dark and did not need any more colours but it always made her happy. The thing about her outfits is that she loved time travelling with them. Sometimes, she thinks she's an old soul who was born in the wrong generation. Today, her outfit was inspired by the 1970's. But most of the time, her best friend Remy reminds her how she was in fact born in the right generation with women's rights, her ability to speak her truth without being crucified and the fact that she could yell at a man's face without risking being beaten up too much. Well, the risk still exists, but it's lower now. And she would probably fight back. Because Charlie is a fierce woman. You do not raise your hand at her, she raises her voice at you. She also loves Taylor Swift and Olivia Rodrigo who did not exist back then. But she loves her old songs even more... Little Wing - Jimi Hendrix, Dreams - Fleetwood Mac, Why Can't We Be Friends - War, Sultans Of Swing - Dire Straits... they all hit different.

"Hello Rem."

She answered her phone ringing for a facetime, her friend still in bed while she was putting on some makeup.

"Girl, I need to tell you about my day at work yesterday."

"Mmh mmh ? Go ahead, I'm all ears."

"There's this new patient I have... oh my God, it's horrible." She was putting on some blush powder on her cheeks, nodding. "His life was horrible, but whatever, this won't excuse what I'm about to say."

"Enough with the teasing, tell me before I die."

"He was hitting on me !"

"Oh was he ?!"

"Fuck yes, I was so embarrassed, he was also constantly talking about sex, I wish you would've been there to see my face."

"I can imagine, actually..." She chuckles. "How old is he ?"

"Seventeen."

"Ew."

"You don't fucking say."

"What are you gonna do ?" Remy was a licensed psychologist, her patients were all minors since she took care of children mostly, rarely teenagers.

"Remember my co-worker Nick ?"

"Abso-fucking-lutely how are things with him ?"

"Shut up." They both laugh. "He's going to supervise our next appointment and if things stay the same he'll be the one who'll take care of him, surely."