Chapter 23: A Broken Piece

Calmness is the cradle of power - Joseph Gillbert Holland

"Felix? W-where are we going?" I shouted, stumbling behind him, my heels red and sore. My beautiful dress ripped to shreds, my memories of a night that I wanted to enjoy ruined.

"You'll know soon enough, Miss Dupain-Cheng," he replied, as he always does. Over and over again. It's the same useless comment. A comment that means nothing to me. A comment that tells me nothing. He can't do this to me. Not again. I stopped in my tracks, staring in protest. He looked back towards me, seeing the immediate frustration that was obviously planted on my face.
"Come on, Miss. Dupain-Cheng, I shall tell you on-".

"No!. No Felix. Just stop. Just fucking stop. This isn't fair. I have given you so much. Why? Why can't you trust me? Is it me? Or is it your dumb Agreste ego,".
He began to try to speak, but I cut him off again.

"NO. Don't interrupt me. I have just about had it with your secretive bullshit. Tell me now or I'm not going,".

"I can not do that. Miss. Dupain-Cheng. Plea -".

"OH AND PLEASE JUST STOP WITH THE MISS DUPAIN-CHENG SHIT. HAVE WE NOT MOVED PAST THAT. OR AM I STILL A VARIABLE FOR YOU. GOD. IM SO NAIVE. I-I actually believed you were different,". It's dumb. I know. All he's done is put me through hell, but  I know now, my love was just built off of lies and a case that I never closed. The Agreste case.

"I- I don't want to hurt you,".

"Too fucking late Felix. Forget this. I'm leaving," I said, but he grabbed my arm, pulling me towards him. I struggled within his grip, but he held me firm, his face serious.

"You can't leave. I need you close to me,"
His voice quivering as he said it. I scoffed. I'm not buying this crap.

"Precisely. You need me, not want me. You need me for whatever shit this is but you don't want me. You never have,". My words struck him like a blade, allowing me to slip from his grip.

"I'm sorry, Felix, but I give up,".

I didn't stay for a moment longer, taking the moment of shock for him, to slip away, unnoticed. My heart hurt. My head hurt. My everything hurt. I dont know why I allowed myself to fall down that rabbit hole once more but here we are. Alone. Broken again. What more do I have to prove? What more must I do to gain this cruel world's approval?
Is saving this city not enough? I mean, this damn world us pretty fucking demanding if they can't realise that ne risking my bloody life everyday to fight a villain, who turned out to be the dad and uncle of two of the worst people in my life, and almost dying. Oh, and, you know, putting my entire life on hold just to save people who don't even give a damn whether or not I exist at this point. Yeah... It's not that good, you know, bare minimum. It's not like what I do matters.

I had been walking, stuck in my own head, for hours that I didn't realise where I had wondered to. Tired and hungry, I strolled through the doors of what looked to be a diner. I didn't care at this point, anything to give myself a break.

As I plonked myself on a table, I looked around. There was one large table infant of me, other than that the place was empty. Suddenly, the chatter stopped. My vision was so blurry I couldn't make out who those people were but my heart skipped a beat when I heard then say,

"Marinette?".

Hey Problem Children! Sorry this chapter is so late but there not much for me to say. I hope you enjoyed. Thank you for reading and I'll see you  in the next chapter. Bye!