Chapter One

"May death claim me first," she murmured against his lips as they parted ways, their breaths mingling in a final, stolen moment.

It was an essential condition for the success of their perilous mission-a pact forged in the shadows of their love.

The whispered phrase hung in the air, a haunting farewell as they parted ways, carrying with it a weight of foreboding. Onyx couldn't help but wonder about the origin of those words, which seemed to emerge from a place deep within her. It was as though the phrase held a hidden significance, a connection to something greater than herself.

As she ventured deeper into the treacherous world of espionage, secrets, and betrayal, those words would echo in her mind, a reminder of the perilous path she had chosen. "May death claim me first" became a mantra, a vow that she would not yield easily to her adversaries. It encapsulated her unwavering determination and resilience in the face of danger.

Silently, Onyx became one with the night, moving across the timeworn rooftop of the decaying warehouse. The aged structure, adorned with overgrown, dusty vines and leaves scattered across its exterior, seemed to bear witness to secrets untold.

Her every step was a whisper, mirroring the stealthy grace of Cassius, her soulmate and lover. From below, he watched her glide forward like a black panther, stalking its prey with deadly precision, putting a sad, loving smile on his face.

As Onyx moved with silent precision, her thoughts wandered to her approaching eighteenth birthday, still two years away. It was the pivotal moment when she would finally learn whether Cassius was indeed her destined mate, a truth she yearned for with every fiber of her being.

In the hushed solitude of countless nights, she whispered fervent prayers to the gods, her pleas echoing in the darkness. Yet, deep down, she bore the heavy burden of knowing that the gods seldom heeded her entreaties, leaving her with an ache of unfulfilled hope.

Memories of the past haunted her, especially the times when she begged the gods for help during the torturous abuse inflicted upon her by Aleksei. Time and again, she had implored the gods for deliverance from her tormentor's grasp, only to be met with their deafening silence.

Each unanswered prayer fueled the fire of resentment that smoldered within her. Returning to the harsh present, she snapped out of her reverie when her vigilant eyes spotted Cassius, hidden in a corner of the warehouse, slipping through a slightly ajar door.

The silence that enveloped the place grew eerie, and a gnawing sense of foreboding clenched her chest.

Onyx's heart raced as she meticulously followed the plan they had devised. The seconds ticked away as she hid in the shadows, waiting for the perfect moment to act. She knew that timing was crucial, and five minutes was the precise window she needed.

With each passing moment, she remained focused, her senses heightened, and her determination unwavering. She had endured so much, and now was the time to seize the opportunity she had patiently waited for. As the clock in her mind counted down, she knew that her moment to make her move was approaching, and her next steps would shape her destiny.

Leaping gracefully through a nearby window from the roof of the warehouse, she sprinted toward where Cassius was, her mind a wellspring of knowledge regarding the warehouse's labyrinthine layout, complete with the locations of rooms and exits.

However, as she closed the distance, a gut-wrenching revelation gripped her heart-Cassius not where we planned he would be.

With a deft, fluid motion, she sheathed her gleaming daggers, concealed within the folds of her black tunic. As anxiety surged within her, she sought to quell the tempest of her racing breath and pounding heart.