Chapter one

The air was thick and humid when Dana stepped off the plane onto the tarmac. It felt like a heavy blanket draped over her body, suffocating her. But this wasn’t the only discomfort she felt. As she looked around at the unfamiliar faces, her heart sank. This wasn’t home. Not yet, at least.
After collecting her bags Dana stepped out into the crowd, scanning the faces for a familiar one. She was about to give up when a tall, broad-shouldered woman with a severe expression pushed her way through the crowd. The woman’s dark eyes settled on Dana.
"You must be the American girl,"she said.
Dana scans the woman from head to toe, she is dressed in an elegant white jumpsuit which hugs her perfect curves. The frown on the lady's face does nothing to hide her beauty.
Dana, suddenly feeling self-conscious, replied with a tentative, “Yes, that’s me. Um, I’m Dana.”

The woman reached out to shake Dana’s hand, her grip firm and cold.
“I am Sizakele, Thabo’s mother. You may call me Mama Sizakele.
Dana drew back her hand. It was clear that the woman she now knew was her soon to be mother-in-law did not like her
"Nice to meet you mom Sisakelly"she said with her American accent much to Sizakele's displeasure, she wasn't able to pronounce her name correctly
“It’s Mama Sizakele,” the woman corrected her sternly, her lips pursing into a thin line.
“And you will address me as such. Now, come, we must get you to the car.” With a curt nod, Mama Sizakele spun on her heel and headed toward the exit. Dana hesitated, glancing back at the crowd behind her, but with no other option, she hurried after the woman.

As they reached the parking lot, Mama Sizakele paused by a sleek black BMW SUV. “This is the vehicle we will take to the house,” she announced.

Dana, somewhat taken aback, replied, “Oh, uh… it’s a nice car.”
Mama Sizakele shot her a piercing look.
“Do not be impressed by material possessions. A BMW is a BMW.” She pointed at the passenger door. “Get in.”

Dana was silent as she climbed into the passenger seat, closing the door behind her. The interior was pristine, leather seats immaculate and the scent of lemon air freshener wafting through the air. She swallowed hard. This was it. She was really in South Africa now.
Feeling the tension Dana wondered if she should break the silence with some small talk. But Sizakele’s icy demeanor made her second-guess herself.

“So… nice weather, huh?” Dana ventured cautiously, casting a glance out the window at the bright sunshine.

“The weather is as the weather is,” Mama Sizakele replied, keeping her gaze fixed on the road. “It does not warrant discussion.”

Dana’s mouth fell open in surprise. Well, that was that, then.
The rest of the drive passed in silence, with only the hum of the engine and the whoosh of passing cars to fill the awkward void.

Dana attempted to take in her surroundings, but her mind was still reeling from her conversation—or rather, lack thereof—with Sizakele. She could only imagine what Thabo would be like if his mother was any indication. Dread began to well up in her chest.

Finally, the car came to a stop in front of a large gated property. Sizakele opened her door and stepped out, waiting expectantly for Dana to follow suit.
Dana followed Mama Sizakele through the gate, her heart pounding in her chest. As they entered the courtyard, a figure emerged from the front door, and Sizakele called out a greeting.

“Thabo! Uthi kwenzakalani?”

Dana swallowed hard as the man stepped into the sunlight, his features finally becoming clear. Her stomach dropped.