Chapter six

As Dana catches her breath in the forest, she's struck by a sudden realization—she has no idea where she is or where to go. But she knows one thing for sure: Mama Sizakele and her family will stop at nothing to get her back.

Her mind racing, Dana starts to walk, keeping her eyes peeled for signs of civilization. But as the hours pass, she begins to wonder if she's lost in the wilderness, with no way out. That's when she hears a rustling in the bushes...
With a surge of adrenaline, Dana whirls around, her body tensed and ready for a fight. But instead of Mama Sizakele or her henchmen, she sees a small, furry creature emerge from the bushes.

It's a bushbaby, its large, round eyes fixed on her. It lets out a soft trill, and Dana can't help but smile. It seems harmless, even friendly. She lets out a sigh of relief, but the reprieve is short-lived.
As I exhale, the relief washes over me, but it's short-lived. While the bushbaby seems friendly, the soft trill that echoes through the forest serves as a reminder that I'm still in danger. Mama Sizakele and her family could be close by, still pursuing me.

My mind races, searching for a plan. I need to put as much distance between myself and the house as possible, but the forest seems endless, and I'm running on empty.

As I consider my options, I realize that I haven't eaten or drunk anything since I fled the house.
My stomach rumbles, reminding me that my body needs fuel. But food is the last thing on my mind. With every minute that passes, Mama Sizakele and her family could be getting closer.

I peer through the trees, trying to catch a glimpse of the house, but the thick foliage blocks my view. It's like the forest is conspiring against me, trying to keep me trapped within its shadowy embrace.

My heart pounding, I start to run again, ducking under low-hanging branches and sidestepping fallen logs.

Adrenaline pumps through my veins, my muscles burning with the effort. I dart through the underbrush, ignoring the branches that scratch at my skin.

The air around me seems to grow thicker, and for a moment, I think it's the rising fear clouding my senses. But then I realize that the forest is changing. The trees grow closer together, their twisted trunks blocking out what little light filters through the canopy.

The bushbaby had disappeared, its comforting presence replaced by a heavy silence. It's as if the forest is holding its breath, waiting for something to happen.
I slow my pace, the hairs on the back of my neck prickling with unease. The atmosphere in the forest has shifted, and it feels like the woods are alive, watching me with a malevolent gaze.

I can't help but shake the feeling that I'm being lured into a trap. The further I go, the deeper into the forest I venture, the more lost I become. It's like the trees themselves are shifting, obscuring my path, making it impossible for me to find my way out.

Suddenly, I hear the snap of a twig behind me.
My breath catches in my throat, and my body tenses, ready to flee or fight. But as I spin around, ready to face whatever danger lurks in the shadows, I see nothing. The forest is still and quiet.

I force myself to take a deep breath, trying to quell the rising panic in my chest. Maybe it was just an animal, a squirrel or a deer, and not one of Mama Sizakele's henchmen.

But as I stand there, the silence seems to stretch on for an eternity.
The trees creak and groan around me, as if they're whispering secrets I'm not meant to hear. The silence is broken only by the sound of my own heart pounding in my ears.

And then, I hear it again. The snap of a twig, this time much closer. The hairs on the back of my neck stand on end, and I know I'm not alone.

I spin around, my eyes searching for any sign of movement. And then I see it. In the shadows, a figure moves, shifting from tree to tree like a shadow.
My hand grips the stone in my pocket, my fingers finding the grooves in the surface. It's a small comfort against the darkness that seems to be closing in on me.

The figure moves again, getting closer. I can't make out any features, but I can feel the intensity of its gaze. It's watching me, waiting for the right moment to strike.

I know I need to act, but my feet are rooted to the ground, like the forest is holding me in place.

A branch snaps, loud and clear, and the figure emerges from the shadows.
My breath catches in my throat as the figure steps into the moonlight. It's a man, tall and muscular, with a shaved head and tribal tattoos snaking up his arms.

He doesn't look like the burly man who had carried me to the altar. His eyes are bright and alert, and he moves with a grace that belies his size.

I take a step back, my hand tightening on the stone.
"Who are you?" I whisper, my voice barely audible.

The man smiles, his teeth a stark white against his dark skin.
"My name is Zolani," he says, his voice low and smooth. "And I'm here to help you."

I freeze, my heart hammering in my chest.
"How do I know I can trust you?" I ask, my voice shaking. "You could be working for Mama Sizakele."

Zolani tilts his head, his eyes fixed on me. "You're right to be cautious," he says. "But I'm not with the Sizakele family. I'm here to get you out of this forest and away from their reach."

I hesitated, weighing my options
It was not a good move trusting this stranger but yet it seems he's my only way out of here

I took a deep breath, steeling my resolve. Zolani's eyes were clear and honest, and I decided to take a chance. I stepped forward, slowly closing the distance between us.

"Okay," I said, my voice still shaky. "I'll go with you. But if this is a trap, you'll be sorry."

Zolani chuckled, a deep, throaty sound that seemed to cut through the tension in the air.
"Don't worry, my friend," he said. "I'm not the kind of man who likes unnecessary bloodshed."
Zolani gestured for me to follow him, and I did, my steps still tentative and cautious. He moved quickly and silently through the forest, as if he had grown up in these woods.

I tried to match his pace, glancing over my shoulder every few minutes to make sure we weren't being followed. The forest seemed to grow darker with every step, the silence pressing in on us like a weight.

After what felt like hours, the trees began to thin, and I saw a glimpse of moonlight ahead. Zolani quickened his pace, beckoning me to follow.

We burst from the trees into a small clearing, and I was hit by a blast of cool, fresh air. The stars were bright overhead, and the moon cast a silvery light over the land.

Zolani led me to a small campfire, which crackled and snapped in the night air. He pulled a blanket from his pack and offered it to me.

"Thank you," I said, my voice hoarse with exhaustion. I settled onto a log, warming my hands over the fire. "Who are you, really?" I asked. "Why are you helping me?"
Zolani sat across from me, the firelight dancing across his face.
"I'm a hunter," he said, his voice low and measured. "I've been tracking the Sizakele family for months. They're not good people, and they've done terrible things to this land."

I frowned, my mind racing with questions. "Why have you been tracking them?" I asked. "What do you know about them?"

Zolani took a deep breath, his eyes scanning the forest around us. "The Sizakele family have been using dark magic for generations," he said.

"They use their powers to control the land, to manipulate the animals and plants that live here. But their magic comes at a price."

I leaned forward, my curiosity piqued. "What price?" I asked. "What do they sacrifice for their power?"

Zolani's face hardened. "Blood,"