CHAPTER 13

Nalu's Point of View

I woke up early in the morning feeling extremely weak and my body was burning up with a high fever. I could feel my head pounding and I felt the chill that's causing my body to shake. I tried to get out of bed but my legs didn't support me as easily and I fell back onto my pillow.

I knew something was seriously wrong and I called out to my mother for help. She rushed into my room and saw me lying there, pale and sweating profusely. Without a second thought, she immediately took me to the hospital.

I could barely keep my eyes open during the car ride, my head was spinning and I felt like I was going to pass out any moment.

"Ano ba nangyayari sa'yo anak? Kaya pa ba?" Nag-aalalang tanong ni mama sa akin habang nag da-drive ng kotse. I just raise my right thumb to tell her that I'm fine.

As I sat in the waiting room of the hospital, I couldn't help but worry about what could be causing these symptoms. Finally, it was my turn to see the doctor and after a series of tests and examinations, it was confirmed that I had an electrolytes imbalance. I was prescribed medication and advised to rest as much as possible.

"Mommy, kailangan po mag-stay ni Nalu rito sa ospital for further observations. And para makapagpahinga rin siya ng maayos." pagpapaliwanag ng doctor. "Baka po kasi mag seizure siya if iuuwi pa po natin siya sa bahay. Much better if nandito po siya so we can give her proper medication." dagdag nito.

While the doctor meticulously outlined the essential measures to be taken during my upcoming confinement, my mom's attention seemed to wander. Her gaze drifted towards the window, lost in a distant reverie.

Her body language betrayed a sense of unease, as she fidgeted with her hands and tapped her foot impatiently. It became apparent that her mind was elsewhere, perhaps preoccupied with the myriad uncertainties that lay ahead.

The doctor's words washed over her, but it seemed as though they were failing to penetrate the fog of her preoccupation.

"Mom? Sino po ba ang ka-text ninyo at kanina pa po kayo nakatuon diyan sa cellphone?" tanong ko.

"Yung magbabantay sa'yo rito sa ospital." sagot niya.

As we arrived at the admission desk, I could feel the anxiety building up inside of me.

I was worried about what the next two days would hold for me and how my body would react to the treatment.

Olivia's Point of View

Nalu was always someone to be admired. She had an air of bravery and strength that was unmatched by anyone else. She was the one who always stood up for what was right, even if it meant going against the crowd. She was the one who never backed down from a challenge, no matter how daunting it may seem. Naiinis ako dahil kahit na anong gawin ko hindi nila ako nakikita. Hindi nila nakikita yung effort na ginagawa ko.

I had always admired Yoshio from afar, too afraid to make a move. But now, with Nalu seemingly out of the picture, this was my time.

"Good evening class." Yoshio said.

Binati namin siyang lahat at umupo na. "Let's do the attendance for me to know who's absent and who's present," he announced.

"Keiran Malakai?"

"Present!"

"Clarence Javier?"

"Present!"

"Olivia Maeve?"

"Present!" Ngumiti ako sa kanya at nakita ko siyang umiiwas ng tingin.

"Nalu Coleis?"

"Nalu Coleis?" muling ulit niya.

"Sir na-confine po si Nalu." Someone commented that made me irritated.

"Bakit mo sinabi!" inis na sabi ko kay Keiran. Sinenyasan ko siyang tumahimik at agad naman niya itong sinunod.