vii.ㅤ ࣪ 𓈒 ✿⁠⠀a blade & a meal ࣪ ⊹

━━ 𖡼

━━ 𖡼.𖤣𖥧𖡼.𖤣𖥧 ━━

▮📍 gyomei himejima's estate.
▮"italics" with quotations marks indicate the person is speaking in mandarin. "bold" with quotation marks indicate the person is speaking in japanese

━━ 𖡼.𖤣𖥧𖡼.𖤣𖥧 ━━

today was the day you were supposed to receive your nichirin blade, and the anticipation had you feeling excited and a bit impatient. these past ten days since the final selection had been rather uneventful, and you found yourself longing for something significant or thrilling to happen. adding to your unease was the absence of genya, who hadn't returned to gyomei's estate as usual.

suddenly, the soft tinkling of wind chimes reached your ears. peering out the door, you spotted a man wearing a sunflower-patterned haori and a wide-brimmed hat adorned with floral wind chimes. he approached you and introduced "i am haganezuka, the swordsmith tasked with forging your weapon."

"ah! yes, i'm y/n l/n. please come insi-", he interrupted you, his attention fixed on a long rectangular box he placed on the ground. "this is a nichirin blade," he declared, leaving you momentarily speechless.

attempting to regain control of the conversation, you started to invite him inside again; "u-um.. please, come insid-" but he cut you off once more.

"i forged this blade," he continued, his tone firm and authoritative. "the nichirin blade's raw materials are iron, sand, and ore from the highest mountain closest to the sun. 'scarlet crimson iron sand' and the ore you picked from the final selection," he explained, providing insight into the craftsmanship behind the weapon.

"c-can you stand up first? you're gonna scrape your knees if you keep kneeling down on the rocks," you offered, as he looked up at you, his hyotokko mask adding to the unexpectedness of the moment. "hm? you were saying?" he asked, clearly not fully attentive to your words.

"please, come inside. i have tea, and you might scrape your knees if you keep kneeling on the rocks," you repeated, hoping to steer the conversation back to a more comfortable setting. he nodded in acknowledgment and followed you inside. once there, haganezuka explained that once you pulled the blade out of its scabbard, it would change its colors based on each individual.

"now, try and pull the blade out of its scabbard," he instructed as you nodded along. with careful hands, you drew the sword from its sheath and held it upright. as the blade caught the light, you observed the color shift from a steel silver to white. "it's white," haganezuka spat out in disappointment.

haganezuka's disappointment was palpable, and you couldn't help but feel a twinge of nervousness at his reaction. "e-eh? is something wrong with white?" you asked, trying to ease the tension with a nervous chuckle. but before you could say more, he pounced on you, his frustration evident as he grabbed your shoulders.