Chapter 24: Pathfinder

Advanced"'Grine von Reinhafer'... he used the ogre's instincts to attack us."

I didn't even bother to use the word brother.

The original Nox, not the possessed me, would surely have died.

There was no reason to honor a man who had put my brother in a situation that could have killed him.

"......You mean to tell me that the Second Master was involved in this ogre raid? Why on earth would Master Grine do such a thing to his brother, Master Nox......."

"Because it's weird."

I trailed off, looking at Zitri questioningly.

"Because suddenly my weak little brother has come to his senses, and he's been openly acknowledging me at the dinner table.

I guess he wanted to see if I was really strong. Whether the rumors were true or not."

"That means...... too. Are you keeping an eye on him?"

Zitri hesitated before speaking.

As expected, she was quick on the uptake.

After all, Zitri herself had been pushed out of the power structure by her uncle and abandoned by her family, so she would know.

That sibling rivalry to become the head of the family sometimes crosses the line.

I nodded immediately in affirmation.

"Yes. I suppose Grine thinks I might try to sneak into the family succession, so he'd better make sure I'm up to speed."

His ambition was clear.

He wants to outwit his eldest son, Garen, and become the next in line for the lord's seat.

The odds are stacked against him, and he's not nearly as skilled as Garen.

But he had a weapon in his arsenal: the art of subterfuge.

Using his skills to get a glimpse into his opponent's mind, and then using that to expand his power. That was Grine's primary tactic.

But I must warn you that there are those for whom it does not work.

I already know the entire story of the first part of Inner Lunatic.

His tricks don't work.

I should add that my maid, Zitri, is quite the actress.

"It's no fun just sitting there."

I raise the corner of my mouth, and Zitri looks uneasy for some reason.

She broke out in a cold sweat and asked.

"I... Young Master, what are you trying to do.......?"

Do you know what attracts ogres far more than pheromone-sprayed mud?

It's direct ogre blood.

Just as these creatures take on a human-like appearance, they often take revenge in groups when one of their own is hunted.

So, question here.

What can I do with this blood?

"...You're kidding, aren't you?"

Ignoring Zitri's words, I poured the ogre's blood into a glass jar.

He walked over to Grine's tent and sprinkled it liberally over the top.

I'm looking forward to tomorrow morning.

I'm sure this will attract at least ten of them.

At least one or two will break a bone.