𝟏𝟎

❣︎

ADRIANA

I was not ready. I rush around my room, my heart races with excitement and nervousness.

It is Monday. Today is my first day of school, and I want everything to be perfect.

I'm wearing a crisp white shirt paired with a navy jumper and a
sleek black pencil skirt along with black tights.

Acumen Academy's uniform wasn't so bad. Dad bought it online the other day.

Except this stupid tie.

I tug at the tie, trying to loosen it just enough to find some relief without looking too disheveled.

I hurriedly gather my belongings, and quickly slip on my all black Converse, glancing at the clock every few seconds to make sure I'm not running late. 7:59am.

My mind drifts back to the past nine days spent with my family. We watched movies, baked cookies, and just enjoyed each other's company.

For so long, I carried the weight of my experiences alone, afraid to burden others with my pain.

But sharing my story with my brothers and father was like lifting a heavy weight off my shoulders.

I reflect on how far I've come mentally in recent days. I feel stronger and more resilient than ever before.

I'm aware that I'm not fully healed yet, but I'm making an effort, and I can see progress. I feel content and happy, something I haven't experienced in years.

A few days ago, Dad told me I'd start therapy sessions every Wednesday after school.

It's a nerve-wracking and hopeful chance to confront my demons and work towards a brighter future.

The anticipation of starting this new chapter in my life fills me with
apprehension.

I take a deep breath, reminding myself that it's just another step forward, and with that though, I head downstairs.

As I descended the stairs, I found Matteo, Nico, and Luca already at the table, their tired expressions evident even in their crisp uniforms.

Leonardo was engrossed in his work, dressed sharply in a suit and glued to his laptop.

Meanwhile, Dad sat at the end of the table, calmly flipping through the newspaper and savoring his morning coffee.

Over in the kitchen, Dante was bustling about, preparing breakfast.

"Looking sharp, Adriana," Matteo remarked with a tired grin, his eyes lighting up as he saw me in my uniform.

Before Luca and Nico learned about my past, they kept their distance, their demeanor cold and detached.

Now, their sudden kindness felt like pity, a reminder of the struggles I faced.

Nico, still rubbing his eyes, added with a yawn, "You're gonna make a great impression on your first day."

Luca nodded in agreement, "Yeah, you're gonna ace it, piccola."

Even Leonardo, usually absorbed in his work, took a moment to offer a supportive nod.

Dad set aside his newspaper and offered a warm smile, "You're ready for anything, bambina." he said, his voice brimming with pride.

Their words of encouragement gave me a much-needed boost of confidence as I joined them at the breakfast table.