Prologue

Jeremiah sighed as he looked out the window of his office. He was slowly becoming frustrated with his recent failures to alleviate his loneliness. He didn't understand what he was doing wrong.

He always made sure that the body itself was fresh, along with healthy organs meticulously put into the right place. He wondered if his calculations for the voltage was off. Maybe that's what it was.

Either way, he'd have to try again to put together the perfect companion. So, here he was, sitting in his office watching different newscasts from different televisions and radios that he had set up. There were no new victims of tragedies though, much to his annoyance.

He really wasn't good at keeping his own victims in one piece, so he wanted to gather a corpse from some other source. He couldn't just go to the morgue and pick a corpse though, too many cameras and the paperwork for a cadaver was atrocious.

He was just about to give up for the day when he heard a news report of a terrible car wreck.

~~~~

The girl felt a throbbing pain going through her head as she was barely holding on to consciousness. She also found herself struggling to take in air but couldn't move her arms to find the problem.

All she knew was that she was upside down and limp as a ragdoll. She and her parents were just returning from vacation. It was her parents' graduation gift her. They were all fine until that semi lost control and t-boned their car.

She couldn't open her eyes at all to see how her parents were doing in the front seats. The only thing she could hear were sirens and the blaze of fire. Dear God, was she burning alive? She couldn't tell since the only thing she felt was the pain in her head.

The girl was unconscious now as an ambulance pulled her out of the wreckage, unaware that her parents had perished on impact. She was barely living herself as two of her ribs had been broken and were puncturing her lungs. If she wasn't dead by the time she reached the hospital, she would need immediate surgery.

There was only one surgeon who was skilled enough to pull off such a surgery. But the ambulance crew didn't know if he was at the ER or not. The did their best to keep her alive, but her vitals were quickly fading. The only hope for this girl was Dr. Jeremiah Galloway.