6: A Long Wait

"I love you," you say softly, barely above a whisper. Alastor turns away from the stove to face you in the blink of an eye. His quick action takes you aback, and you feel a flutter in your chest. Were you not supposed to say that? Uncertainty grips you as he stares at you, his mouth opening and closing several times. He straightens up, his shoulders relaxing as he inhales deep, but the uncertainty lingers.

"I love you too, (Y/N)," Alastor says, a slight blush forming on your face. You smile at him, and he beams back at you. However, he doesn't stare at you long; he is still cooking. You can't help but continue to gaze at his back, your heart filled with love and deep admiration. It made you nervous saying that to him. Since day one, he's been kind and loving towards you. You can't help but feel like your love for him will never catch up to the level of love he has for you.

Now you're eating in the dining room, and he's sitting before you. The silence between you is heavy, each passing second amplifying the weight on your chest. You can't help but think it was wrong for you to tell him you loved him. Yes, he did return those words to you, but he hasn't said much since, and the uncertainty is eating at you. You do your nightly dishes by washing them and drying them with Alastor. But still, not a single word is shared between the both of you—the uncertainty killing you from the inside.

You sit in the living room nose-deep in a book to distract yourself. However, that's not working well since Alastor reads his book in the chair. He won't leave you alone while there's this awkwardness between you. His occasional glances at you make you nervous. Jazz music is playing softly on the radio, so at least you're not in silence anymore. You don't know how long it's been since you started reading. You estimate that it has been well over an hour. Alastor, getting up from his chair and turning off the radio, grabs your attention. He turns to you and smiles softly.

"It's getting late, my dear. Why don't we go get ready for bed?" Alastor says to you. You give him a slow nod, and he holds out a hand for you. You shut the book you were reading and place it down on the coffee table. You reach for his hand, and he helps you get off the coach. You walk upstairs with him, your hand still interlocked with his. He drops your hand once you get to the bedroom and opens the door, gesturing for you to go on it. "Ladies first, my dear."

You let out a small chuckle. Alastor does this every night except when you go to bed before him. Alastor steps in behind you and shuts the door behind him. You let out a yelp as your back gets slammed into the door. You stare up at Alastor, who has one arm around your waist and the other touching the door beside your head. His eyes are dark and half-lidded. He leans down and whispers in your ear.

"Say it," he demands.

"What?" you squeak out as his lips meet your neck.

"Say it again, mon amour," he demands again. Alastor goes back to kissing your neck, occasionally giving little nips here and there. You try to squirm out his arms away from the pleasurable feeling, but his grip on your waist tightens, preventing you from leaving. Your breath hitches in your throat as he finds the sensitive part. He leans back and grips your chin with his other hand, his thumb running across your bottom lip. "Repeat what you said to me in the kitchen."

"I love you?" you say, coming out more as a question than a statement. Alastor smirks at you.

"I love you too, ma fleur la plus pure," he growls. His lips return to your neck. He continues to leave kisses down your neck. Occasionally he sucks gently on your skin. You subconsciously tilt your head, giving him more access. Your head grows cloudy as you get lost in his touch. A breathy moan escapes your lips. You feel him smile against your neck and pull slowly away from you. His eyes graze down your neck, seeming pleased with his work. "May I kiss you?"

Your eyes widen at his question. Without giving it a second thought, you nod your head. Alastors lips catch on yours. Your lips gently move with his. The passionate kiss quickly turns into a heated one. The pace soon picks up. His grip on you tightens. He takes your bottom lip and sucks on it gently before returning to kissing you. His tongue softly grazes against your bottom lip, asking for permission. You allow it, and your tongue dances with his.

After about another minute of kissing, Alastor pulls away from you. His forehead leaning against yours as you both try to catch your breath. His arms are still tightly wrapped around you. He smiles down at you, and you smile back at him. With a chuckle, he picks you up and spins you around. You squeal at the action, and he laughs as he puts you back down. He hugs you tightly and kisses the top of your head.

"I've been waiting so long for you to say that again. After that day, I was convinced I wouldn't hear it. But here you are telling me you love me," Alastor beams at you. His smile is the widest you've ever seen, and his brown eyes are filled with affection for you. He tucks a loose strand of your hair behind your ear. His hand caressed your cheek for a second. He leans down and gives you a soft peck on your lips. "I want to take you somewhere tomorrow. So why don't you go ahead and take your shower?"

Your eyes light up hearing that. Alastor is taking you out of the house! Not that you don't like the house; you've just been cooped up for too long. You eagerly nod your head at him and head straight to the bathroom to take a shower.

Alastor laughs as he watches you disappear. He changes into pajamas and climbs into the bed, listening to the shower running and you humming to yourself. Taking you out tomorrow is a considerable risk, so he needs to be extra careful. However, that's a risk he's willing to take. As long as it makes you happy, he'll always risk it. He's not going to lose you, ever.