𝟏. 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐌𝐲𝐬𝐭𝐞𝐫𝐲 𝐨𝐟 𝐉𝐚𝐬𝐨𝐧 𝐌𝐜𝐂𝐚𝐧𝐧

Hailey's pov:

Hailey's pov:

Jason McCann is a puzzle, and I'm desperate to find the missing pieces— but I'm not sure I'm ready for what they might reveal.

Some call him ruthless, some call him monster, for others he's just another criminal. But no one is really sure.

"Routine patrol had lead to busting of two drug peddlers who seem to have a connection with the infamous drug scam. A name which is repeatedly coming under this scam is the criminal Jason McCann who has also been accused of being involved in some serious bombing. Even though there's no solid evidence of McCann's involvement, the officers are trying to find the whereabouts of the infamous criminal. Some experts say, he's probably in his early twenties. Investigation is being carried out and—"

The news reader spoke in a monotonous voice. 

As a journalism student, I'm tired of the same old stories that are often assigned for grade-sole purposes. Instead, I'm on the hunt for real news that will keep me engaged and excited about the world of journalism.

I feel like Jason may not be the mastermind behind this one. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying he's innocent either. It's just that... well, have you met him? He's like a ghost, always lurking in the shadows, never really making a move unless he's got a reason to.

That's what really got my curiosity going. 

Why was he so elusive? 

I found myself wandering back to my thoughts about Jason's past activities. 

The more I thought about it, the more I felt like I was piecing together a puzzle. But there were still too many missing pieces. And Jason McCann's faceless figure seemed to be the key to unlocking the mystery.

Maybe, just maybe, he's not as untouchable as he seems. Maybe he's vulnerable, perhaps even desperate.

Is he lonely?

Does he regret who he has become?

Is there a thing such as redemption for Jason McCann?

What am I thinking?

I'm a realist, and I know that Jason McCann is a master manipulator. He's a chameleon, a master of disguise. He's always one step ahead.

I just need him for my project. If I can hand in Jason or at least find something about Jason, I'd get a permanent job at CrimeScape and have my breakthrough. 

I need to somehow cross paths with him..

I know, it's too much risk for a job, but I can't seem to stop myself. What is the point of coming so far if I can't even excel in what I've been passionate about since my childhood.

Looking back, I've always been fascinated by the darker side of human nature.

As a kid, I would devour true crime and watch documentaries. My parents thought it was weird, but I couldn't help it. There was something about the thrill of the unknown, the rush of adrenaline when I read about a heinous crime being solved.

I know some people might think it's morbid or even twisted, but for me, it's just a way to understand the world. 

Crime is a part of life, no matter how much we might want to ignore it.

And by studying it, I feel like I'm gaining a deeper understanding of human nature.

But sometimes, in the dead of night, when everyone is asleep and the darkness is at its most oppressive... I can't help but wonder what Jason McCann was doing at the moment.

What would his eyes look like in the dark? 

Would he smell like smoke and gasoline? 

Does he look scary?

Will I hate him?

There's something about Jason McCann that draws me in. Maybe it's the way he seems to be untouchable or maybe it's the way he seems to take pleasure in causing chaos and destruction.

I don't know..

Whatever it might be but I can't stop thinking about him. 

I thought about all the things that could have happened to Jason. All the ways he could have been hurt. All the ways he could have suffered.

I felt a pang of guilt, knowing that I shouldn't be thinking about him like this. I shouldn't be feeling sympathy towards a criminal no one's ever caught hold of, not especially when he's the mysterious figure named Jason McCann.

But I couldn't help it. My obsession with Jason had become all-consuming.

The thrill is addictive, but is it worth losing my grip on reality?

The rumors call him a monster, but I'm starting to think that's just a label. What if he's just a broken soul, trapped in a world that doesn't understand him?

::

rewritten.

04 Sept. 2024