chapter 5

Sophie thought she must have misheard.
Natalie tried to stay calm, speaking into the phone, "It's getting late, let's stop here, bye." She then hung up abruptly.
Caleb only glanced briefly, his attention quickly diverted. A white towel hung around his neck, which he grabbed to dab at his damp hair. For Natalie, being alone in a room with a man she didn't really know was unnerving. She wasn't sure where to look, her silver phone becoming slightly moist in her grip.
"Um..."
Natalie's bright, lively eyes finally settled on his hands as he dried his hair. Fresh out of the shower, his skin seemed even whiter, the lines of his hands well-defined. She spoke softly、, though Caleb still heard her.
He turned his eyes toward her, silent.
Natalie's fingers pressed against the back of her phone as she met his gaze, "You know I've lost my memory."
"Mm."
Caleb was aware but hadn't pressed for details.
Natalie's voice was so soft that Caleb sometimes struggled to hear her. He stepped closer, his body carrying the fresh, cool scent of mint with a hint of lemon, "What exactly do you remember up to?"
Natalie tilted her chin up as he approached, "Eighteen, about five years ago."
Some things, neither science nor medicine can explain. Natalie's accident on the set had been investigated by Caleb, who ruled out any foul play. The incident hadn't been as severe as the reporters claimed. Natalie had hit her head and passed out immediately, without any visible blood, likely causing her amnesia. Caleb thought for a few seconds before asking, "What's the last thing you remember?"
"..."
Should she even say it?
Natalie looked up at her current husband, her eyes shifting, "I had just finished my high school final exams in science."
Caleb paused in his hair-drying, then nonchalantly continued, "The doctor said you need to let things come naturally, not to overthink and stress your brain. It's late, you should sleep."
Finally, the conversation had reached this point.
Natalie, with the soul of an eighteen-year-old, couldn't possibly share a bed with Caleb. She clutched the blanket, swung her legs off the bed to put on her shoes. Caleb, seeing this, asked unexpectedly, "Where are you going?"
"...Mr. Grant." Natalie struggled to say those words, "My memories stop five years ago when I was just a regular high school graduate. I can't accept the fact that I'm married all of a sudden, and you are a complete stranger to me now, so we can't share a bed."
Caleb listened seriously and understood her point, "So you're taking the blanket to the couch?"
Natalie nodded obediently.
"No need," he said, running his fingers through his hair, his eyes clear and moist, "You sleep in the bed, I'll take the couch."
"That's not right, it's your house."
"You're the patient."
Caleb shut down any objections with that statement, carefully checked the bandage on her forehead, and turned into the bathroom. Soon, the sound of a hairdryer filled the room. Natalie pulled her legs back up and lay down. When Caleb came out, he fetched a white silk blanket from the closet for himself.
The couch might be just fine for Natalie, but for him, it was a bit small. Caleb slowly arranged the blanket, watching her settle in, then signaled to turn off the light. Natalie nodded, buried her face in the pillow, and Caleb left a small lamp on, lying down on the couch. The room quieted down to near silence.
The air still carried a faint scent of his shower gel. Natalie moved her nose slightly, daring not to make any sudden movements.
"Natalie."
In the dim light, she heard Caleb's voice.
Natalie's throat suddenly felt dry, her lips parted but no sound came out, then she heard him again.
"You shouldn't feel burdened, we weren't close before."
His deep, magnetic voice echoed near her ear. Natalie blinked, the phrase "plastic couple" popping into her mind.
It was the worst night's sleep Natalie had since waking up in the hospital—restless, unable to fall into a deep sleep.
She felt like she had tossed and turned countless times.
Only when a thin light seeped through the curtains did she finally doze off for half an hour. When she opened her eyes again, Caleb was getting up from the couch, stretching his sore neck.
He furrowed his brow for a few seconds.
His gaze swept over to the bed where Natalie lay small and thin under the covers, her dark hair spread out, and part of her round shoulder exposed. Caleb's eyes lingered, moving from the silk sheets, feeling slightly better in his neck, he stood up just
as she stirred.
"Didn't sleep well?"
Natalie was still groggy, nodding obediently, sitting up with her head drooping listlessly, her nightgown sliding off one shoulder, unknowingly exposing more skin.
"I'm sorry. I didn't think it through." Caleb pulled his gaze away as the outside light grew brighter.
The tips of her hair tickled her neck slightly as she reached up to scratch, bewilderedly looking at him.
"What's wrong?"
Caleb had already entered the bathroom, and as Natalie scratched again, she fell back onto the bed, waiting for him to come out of the bathroom before she got up. Downstairs, Rhonda was already waiting, concerned at Natalie's listlessness. She firmly grasped her hand, then her gaze suddenly froze.
Natalie blinked.
Rhonda's eyes darted to Caleb, who appeared composed.
Natalie's breakfast was tasteless; she barely managed half a bowl of porridge before Rhonda stopped insisting she eat more.
Caleb had a morning meeting.
He ate quickly but politely, setting down his chopsticks with a cool look, "Take your time eating."
Rhonda frowned, "Off to the office again!"
Caleb nodded, "The acquisition of Cimei Medical is wrapping up, I'll be busy for a while."
That was the end of the discussion.
Rhonda was exasperated, her eyes signaling him to consider Natalie, who was listening to their conversation and inadvertently met Caleb's gaze. She almost choked on the water she was drinking.
Hurriedly waving her hand, "No, no need."
Natalie feared Caleb might stay if Rhonda asked, the thought of facing him all day made her uneasy. She quickly made an excuse, "Zoe wants me at the office, a car is coming to pick me up."
That was not a lie.
Rhonda was startled, "Going to shoot so soon after being discharged? No, no, mom doesn't agree!"
Caleb showed no emotion.
Natalie explained, "Not shooting. Because of my memory loss, I need to cancel some appointments that might affect my schedule. Otherwise, if I recover my memory later, it could ruin my reputation."
"Oh, then let Caleb take you there instead of Zoe picking you up," Rhonda decisively decided for her.
"..."
Natalie instinctively looked at Caleb.
He said, "That's fine."
Natalie felt somewhat pale, discussing it with Zoe while changing upstairs; she was casual about it, agreeing to meet downstairs at the office. The closet had clothes that fit Natalie well, she chose a black spaghetti strap dress that fell just above her knees, the skirt flowing just how she liked.
The bandage was still there, her hair left loose.
After dressing, she stood in front of the mirror, watching the familiar yet strange reflection, sometimes frowning, sometimes smiling.
Caleb hadn't left the dining table.
He unfolded a newspaper, but before he got far, Rhonda tapped the table.
Caleb asked, "What's wrong?"
Rhonda moved to sit next to him, "You're usually so steady, but last night was a bit off. Nattie just got out of the hospital, she needs rest, how could you let her get tired as soon as you came back?"
Caleb raised an eyebrow.
He set aside the newspaper, slightly tilting his head, "Wasn't it you who suggested we share a room last night?"
"I meant for you to take care of her, not to—" Rhonda didn't finish her sentence as footsteps came down from upstairs. Caleb folded the newspaper, standing up, not forgetting to respond, "Mom, your son isn't a beast."
Rhonda immediately fell silent.
Natalie came down the stairs, her lips a bright color, "I'm ready, let's go."
Caleb picked up his suit jacket from the sofa, draping it over his arm, catching a glimpse of Natalie hurrying to follow. Wesley pulled the car up to the door, opening it for Natalie who bent to get in, her skirt brushing against Caleb's leg.
Natalie turned and settled into the seat, Caleb got into the car.
With the second door closing, Wesley started the car, Rhonda waving from the window. Natalie waved back, and soon the car drove off down the road.
Wesley played soothing music, easing the awkward atmosphere. Natalie, usually chatty with Sophie, found herself struggling in the silent presence of the reserved Caleb.
Judging by their current interaction, it was easy to guess the past—Caleb said they weren't close, and with Reid's comments, she must have been dissatisfied with the marriage, and likely, he didn't like her either.
That made things simpler.
Natalie initiated a conversation, "Earlier..." struggling with how to address him, "why was she staring at me?"
Rhonda had given her several looks.
Caleb, recalling Rhonda's words, turned his eyes to her delicate, pale face—the last time they had been this close was in their wedding car. His gaze briefly swept over her slender neck.
A flush appeared.
Caleb's Adam's apple bobbed, he tilted his head slightly, pointing to his own neck, drawing her attention.
His shirt buttons were undone, revealing a clear, cold white that Natalie's eyes fluttered toward, following Caleb's hand movements. The clean, cold scent of cedar filled her nostrils again.
There was nothing on his neck.
Thinking she was too far to see clearly, Natalie leaned closer from her seat.
Her scent wasn't sweet.
Initially somewhat aggressive, it gradually blended into a citrus freshness, intensifying as she drew nearer, mixed with a lingering medicinal smell from her hospital stay. Caleb tensed, his deep eyes showing inquiry, clearly uncomfortable with her sudden proximity, but he made no other move.
Natalie, oblivious, moved closer, trying to find something on his cool, white neck, her breath nearly touching him. Caleb's Adam's apple moved, his lips parting to speak but stopped by her voice.
"Mr. Grant.......There's nothing there."