Chapter 9

Back at the palace, Kiara and Aviva sat next to the King on his bed. The place had been in an uproar when Martin was brought in injured. Isis had examined him, stitched and bandaged his ankle, and proclaimed that the rest of Martin was simply bruised and sore.

"Daddy it can't be true." Kiara whispered softly as she watched her father sleep.

"I don't understand either." Aviva replied as she hand ran through Martin's hair. "But we need to consider that what happened may have been Marshall's intent in the first place."

"No." Kiara shook his head. "Marshall wouldn't. I know it."

A soft moan caught their attention, and Martin slowly opened his eyes to see his family looking at him.

"Martin." Aviva whispered softly, aware that martin may have a headache or concussion. "How are you feeling?"

"Sore." Martin responded. "No headache though."

"What happened?" Kiara asked quietly.

"Martin and I went out to the newly burned section of land." Martin replied as he slowly sat up. "I told him our side of the Zack story, willing to give him a chance. But Zira and her 'pride' surrounded us, proclaiming that it was their plan."

"No." Kiara whimpered with her hand at his mouth.

"Yes." Martin replied firmly. "And then they attacked, where I received these injuries. Thanks to some rolling logs, I was able to get away and back to safety."

"Brother." Chris spoke from the doorway. "Marshall is here."

"What's he doing here?" Aviva asked with a slight hint of anger in her voice.

"He is seeking an audience with you." Chris growled.

"I reserved judgment when he first came here." Marshall said as he slowly got out of bed with Aviva's help. "The time has come to pass it."

"Father?" Kiara questioned but was silenced with the glare of her father sent her.

"I know you care for him." Martin said firmly as they entered the throne room. "But I most uphold the fact he was part of the reason I was attacked."

As they entered the room, whispers were heard from the council and the sacred court.

"I never trusted him..."

"It's the Outsider, that little troublemaker..."

"What's he doing here?"

"He doesn't belong here..."

"Look at that scar on his face..."

"Let me at him! Let me at him!" Joey was growling as Jimmy and Chris held him back while Martin took his place on the throne, with Aviva on his right and Kiara on his left.

"Why have you come back?" Martin demanded, bringing silence to the room.

"Martin..." Marshall raised his head, revealing the scar that had been whispered about. "I had nothing to do with-"

"You don't belong here." Martin interrupted with a glare.

"Please..." Marshall knelt on his knees. "I ask your forgiveness."

"Daddy please..." Kiara pleaded softly. "Listen to him."

"Silence!" Martin hissed with a glare to his daughter before turning his attention to the youngman on trial. "When you first came here, you asked for judgment, and I pass it now."