Chapter 14 - Betrayal

"Greetings! Welcome to The Icy Creamery! What may I get for you?" Asked the man at the ice cream shop in Tokyo, Japan. Before him stood Hannya, her face covered up by her mask.

"I'd like a vanilla, please. Two scoops, coned." She replied, her voice soft and calm.

"Coming right up!" Answered the man. He turned around and began to prepare the given order. Upon finishing, he turned back to her with delight. "Alright! That'll be one-thousand, eight-hundred and eighteen yen!"

"Right." Hannya said as she reached into the belt of her dress, grabbing a hold of a small, light brown sack. Upon opening it, she pulled out the requested amount of coined yen, handing it over to the shop owner. "Here you go. This should be enough."

Smiling brightly, the man took the money and handed Hannya the double-scoop cone of vanilla ice cream that she had asked for. Hannya bowed as a thanks. "Thank you, kind sir." She said.

"Of course! Be sure to come again!" The man waved her a goodbye as she left.

Hannya stopped at a bench by the ocean to catch a break. It was late at night. The streets were completely deserted, empty. It was calm and relaxing. The waves were small and shallow, the wind light, brushing against her pale, gray skin. The salty ocean smell filled the air.

Hannya took off her mask and placed it back onto the left side of her head. Sitting down in silence, with her eyes closed shut, she licked her ice cream, astonished by its amazing taste.

As she sat alone and ate, footsteps began to approach, coming to a stop as someone had taken a seat next to her.

Upon realizing this, Hannya opened her eyes, her mouth still against the sugary treat that she held. She looked over to the side to see, but became surprised by who was there.

"Enzukai?" She called to them, her face with a look of curiosity and longing. "What are you doing here?"

Enzukai breathed out a low sigh as they looked out at the ocean that sat in front of them. "I came down here to... take a night stroll."

"In the city? Aren't you afraid that someone will see you?" Asked Hannya. "Afraid? Why would I be afraid?" Enzukai replied, the light in their eyes dimming. "It's not like anyone is going to see me, anyways. Look at the surroundings, the streets. It's all empty. I've only come to be alone. I'm just as surprised as you are to see you here, Hannya."

Hannya chuckled nervously, which then turned into a tired exhale. She shifted back to lick her slowly melting ice cream. The two sat in silence, looking out about the sea, the air of serenity. It was peaceful, something they haven't felt in a long time.

Then, Enzukai turned over to Hannya who sat beside them with her eyes closed and her mouth against the vanilla scoops. "Hey, what's that?" They asked, breaking the silence. Hannya opened her eyes to respond. "Oh, It's ice cream. Vanilla flavor. I got it over at the-"

However, just before she could finish, Enzukai suddenly reached out and grabbed ahold of her wrist, cutting her off and taking her by surprise. With a gentle grip, they moved the ice cream to their face to give it a try, all three of their bright, yellow eyes shutting as they opened their tooth-filled mouth to take a bite.

Hannya gasped as they did this. She froze like a statue, her eyes wide like the moon. She grew hot and sweaty, a deep red washing over her face. "E-Enzukai...!" She rasped, every letter she pronounced sounding like she was choking.