CHAP FOUR

"What?"

"I'm... I'm a vampire."

"Prove it, baby."

"What?"

"Prove. It."

"But I just did."

"How?"

"Well, there was another ingredient in the wine. The reason you don't like it is because there's blood in it. Human blood."

Normani looked at me with an unreadable expression on her face. She stared at the empty glasses on the table and then back at me. She half smiled and leaned back on the couch, eyeing me suspiciously.

"So, you drink blood?"

"Yes."

I had no clue why I was telling her all of this. I... liked Normani. She was a breath of fresh air in my boring, everlasting life filled with ennui. I wanted to get to know her better. I wanted... her. And she already made it clear that she wanted me. She leaned up and looked me in my eyes, a look of realization on her face.

"It was you."

"What was me?"

"The people around town being found with holes in their necks. I've been trying to figure out who killed some of my most loyal customers. It was you. All this time..."

I gulped hard as she stared at me intensely. She had a air about her that was scary, yet peaceful.

"I should hate you for killing some of my customers."

"Your customers were bad people. That's why they died. I don't kill innocents."

"You kill people, I kill people. Match made in heaven."

"Whatever you say."

"You'll forgive me if I'm still a little-"

"I could always bite you, Normani."

"Will I turn into a vampire?"

"No. I'm half human."

All of a sudden, Normani just busted out laughing. She laughed so hard her face was turning red and she fell off the couch. I couldn't help but feel silly. Was she laughing at me? She looked up at me from the floor and then stopped laughing.

"You, are entertaining, Beyonce. But, you need some help though, serious help. Help that I can't give you. This has been fun but uhm, yeah. See you around."

She stood up and started to walk to the front door.

"Wait a minute! What do you mean I need help?"

"You do. Oh, you thought I believed you? No baby. I'm not gonna roll around in your delusions with you. That was a good laugh though, I needed that. Are you on drugs or something?"

"I... I thought you understood. I thought I could trust you. I really am a vampire. You saw my eyes."

"So your eyes change colors. So what? Your eyes are a funny color anyway."

"Bring me prey."

"Say what?"

"You know a lot of people. Bad people. So bring me one and watch me drain their blood. That'll prove it."

"Why you wanna prove yourself to me anyway?"

"Maybe I like you. I didn't wanna get close to you at first but, I changed my mind."

She smiled at me and shook her head. She pulled her phone from her pocket and typed something in before sliding her heels off and sitting back down on my couch. I sat down too, eyeing the pretty woman tentatively.

"I hope you don't mind. A friend of mine is gonna bring someone by. That okay?"

"Who's this friend?"

"Rihanna is her name. She's more like my partner in my daily endeavors."

"She helps you kill people?"

"Is that all you think I do? Look, I-"

"You don't have to explain yourself to me."

"I wasn't going to. I was going to say, I'm a woman in a male dominated field. I have to run a better, smoother ship than my father. I have to... uphold his legacy whilst making my own, you know what I mean, Beyonce the vampire?"

"Don't patronize me."

"I'm not. I uhm, you seem so serious about this."

"I only told you cause I... I thought you'd take me seriously."

"It's far fetched. You're telling me you're a mythical creature."

"I'm not lying!"

"Yes ma'am, whatever you say."

"You're on your period."

"What?"

"You're on your period."

"And how do you... Can you smell me? Dammit! Can I use your bathroom?"

"You don't smell bad at all. I can smell you because I can smell the blood very well. If I'm not a vampire, how did I know you were on your period?"

"Because you have a mighty mega nose or some shit."

"Come on, be honest with yourself. Really, how did I know?"

"I don't fucking know!"

"Well, I'll prove it to you some other way."

"Yes you will. When my friend gets here."
*****