Chapter 7: Explorers

The words hit you like a bullet, impaling through your chest. And you didn't know why. You expected his answer to be anything of any lines except that. You thought there was something there between you and him. You felt a spark.

But every time you think that something was building between the two of you, it always resulted to be a fluke. That entire make-out was a fluke? It felt real. It felt so real.

Maybe you have mixed up the concept of lust with your own feelings, which you have sworn not to do and haven't since your early twenties. Yet you made that mistake again.

"Goodbye, Y/n. And thank you for letting me stay." He exhales and walks off along with his cold, mundane demeanor. You should be happy. But you were just confused. You should be grateful, because it's better this way. It's better to remain as strangers for the sake of Salem.

But is it really better that way?

You sigh with a heavy chest, walking back into your home and shutting the door. For the next 15 minutes, you sat on a barstool with Salem's cold food right beside you on the marble countertop. And you just wondered.

A month ago, your life was man-free, you had a repetitive schedule of work, cook, clean, sleep. You didn't have the capacity in your brain to care for men. But now, Kento was lingering in your mind. And you hated it.

It was then that blissfully ignorant Salem came out of her bedroom which caused you to turn your head, all other thought exiting your mind. It was noon by now, she rubbed her eyes as she walked down the staircase.

"Good morning," you say as you grab her plate and pop it in the microwave. "Why'd you sleep in so late today?"

"I don't know. I'm really.." She yawns, then continues. "..Tired."

"Are you?" You say, along with a laugh. "Sit down, I made you some breakfast."

"Mommy?"

"Hmm?"

"Well.. I forgot to tell you this, but my school is having a—"

"A field trip? Don't worry I'm aware." You say as you slide the paper contract on the counter.

"Where did you get this from?" She asks.

"..Places."

Salem raises her eyebrow. "Okay.."

You take the plate out of the microwave and place it in front of Salem. "Anyways, don't let your food get cold again. It doesn't taste good when you microwave it twice." You say, changing the subject.

She digs her metal fork into the pancake. "I know mommy."

You sigh and head back upstairs, back into your bedroom. You slide under your covers then open your phone, your fingers clicking on Kento's contact number.

You stare at it for a few seconds, a rush of memory streaming through your mind like a river. All in which had only been made throughout the past month. But you swipe to the "remove contact" button. Your finger reaches out for it, but then you stop.

What if I need it for Salem's behalf?

I might need to ask some questions about her well-being sometimes.